Western Digital WD5000M22K Solid State Hybrid Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

purplepanda23

I own a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 2 in 1 that came with a western digital hybrid drive. About a month ago my computer got stuck in the automatic repair loop. I was able to trouble shoot to problem down to it being to hard drive as it would not let me boot from BIOS or any other alternative, and Lenovo doesn't have a safe boot mode like other windows computers so I wasn't able to run any kind of recovery or press f12 and have anything come up other than the window leading to BIOS. So I was told that I could get a docking station, get my hard drive out of the Lenovo and just pull the data, reformat it and partition it. The only issue is that my older computer is windows 7 with only USB 2.0 so I don't know if that's a really big issue. When plugging the docking station up, which is USB 3.0, it takes a good 30+ minutes to read the drive but it shows up as local disk d and disk management is showing the format type as raw for the main drive but the tablet drive is showing as NTFS and I can read that one just fine. When I click on the main drive as local disk d under computer it takes forever to load with the "parameters are not correct" error message. I would really like to get everything I can off the hybrid drive as it has 4-5 years worth of important stuff on it and I downloaded a recovery software that doesn't really want to read the drive. I've let it run for over 4 hours only for it to still say it's preparing the drive but with no recovery actually happening. What would be the best thing for me to do to get all my information recovered and to get my hard drive back in working order?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Recovering from a backup would be the thing to do, do you not have a backup of this important data?

When you say 'tablet drive' do you mean the SSD part if the drive? What are the two sizes of the partitions/drives?

It kinda sounds like the drive has failed, bad sectors or something of that sort; data recovery may not be possible. Have you tested it with the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

You can also try a Linux based bootable recovery software like System Rescue CD: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en
It may be able to access the file system and get the files back.

purplepanda23

Recovering from a backup would be the thing to do, do you not have a backup of this important data?

When you say 'tablet drive' do you mean the SSD part if the drive? What are the two sizes of the partitions/drives?

It kinda sounds like the drive has failed, bad sectors or something of that sort; data recovery may not be possible. Have you tested it with the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

You can also try a Linux based bootable recovery software like System Rescue CD: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en
It may be able to access the file system and get the files back.
I wouldn't quite know how to get to the backup files and I don't even know when's the last time I made one as I'm really bad about doing that plus there's no way I would reach it as its on the main drive correct? It seems like there's nothing useful on the drive that I can access.

Yes if that is the SSD part of the hard drive. The main partition is 500gb and the other drive is 16gb I think.

I will try both options and then update.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The backup should always be on another drive or in the cloud(on the internet). A backup on the same drive is not a backup at all. If you do not know how you are backing up then that's a serious problem, if you had a backup then you could recover from this very easily and inexpensively.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online