1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Western Digtal External HDD encryption

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Mojave66, Dec 7, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Mojave66

Mojave66 Thread Starter

I currently have encryption turned on for my WD external HDDs. But I've read a few articles that say their encryption is very easy to hack. I'm not quite sure of the technical issues involved, but I would like to make sure my content is safe if I lose a drive or it's stolen.

I could easily switch over to using VeraCrypt containers but I do like the simplicity of WD's interface (not that VeraCrypt isn't pretty simple too, I guess, haha).

Anyway, I would like some practical advice. Thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Well, if it is simple to hack, then I would switch over to Veracrypt.

3. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot

I use Truecrypt myself for all of my computers. Main reason is that it's been audited and passed with no back doors, etc. Outside of some sloppy code it's solid. You can't use it in UEFI though. That was going to be the next version of Truecrypt, but they ceased operations all due to what I think was a Lavabit situation in which the Feds or whatever told them to stop making it since they couldn't crack it. And I know from some articles I've read that the FBI, etc couldn't crack a full disk encrypted computer.

There are drawbacks and if you use Veracrypt or Truecrypt you need to read the entire manual. I know Truecrypt comes with the manual, not sure about Veracrypt.

Yes, there are a few vulnerabilities. But that only applies to a computer that's on. Not off or an external HDD. Any computer regardless of encryption left on is vulnerable.

Use a minimum 20 character length password and commit it to memory. I have a unique system that uses the first letter of music lyrics sprinkled with numbers and symbols. Since I use the password every day It's not difficult to not remember it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200709