1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

We've got the worm

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by yellow_grrl, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl Thread Starter

Hey, we have a family network, and we discovered that my dad(not being the smartest with computers) had downloaded the virus.... so we are now trying to fix it.
    Out of us all, im the best wit computers, and im stumped... this virus has completely taken away any ability to do things to fix it... i cant access basically anything, and at this point im really wondering if someone can either help we out through this, or if a complete system reboot and starting new would be best?
    Thank you in advance :)

2. Flrman1

Flrman1

What worm?

It might help to see a HJT log.

Please do this. Go here http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ and download Hijack This. Un Zip it and click on the Hijackthis.exe.

Click the "Scan" button when the scan is finished the scan button will become "Save Log" click that and save the log.

Go to where you saved the log and click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" then Paste the log back here in a reply.

Do NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless. Someone here will be glad to advise you on what to fix.

3. yellow_grrl

mad blaster worm.
    and i wood do the hjt, but it has disabled my ability to do so

4. yellow_grrl

I have run anti virus, and anything it will actually allow me too... which is very limited...
    i downloaded 2 removal programs for it, no joy - i get the typical "windows cannot find..."
    is my best choice here to do a complete reboot? or does someone know how to do this, i am VERY limited in what i m able to do, as it is limited the use greatly. and im not a total tech wiz when it comes to virus removal and messing with the registry.. thnks :)

5. blasterbash

blasterbash

yellow_grrl...
    It seems you have made some progress if you are now able to access you system. It would helpful to know what Operating System (Windows 2000 or XP) you are using in order to troubleshoot it. If in fact you are infected with the w32/blaster worm follow this link http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe
    for information and instructions.
    Symantec has provided a removal tool specific to this worm at
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe
    Try this first.
    If your system is infected with a related virus (Welchi - aka Nachi) then I will be happy to provide additional ideas.
    BB

6. blasterbash

blasterbash

7. yellow_grrl

if i download or opent that tool, it just simply wont allow it to run, so its not much help unfortanately, but thnks...
    the computer is running windows xp...
    if we reboot - will the virus still b there or gone?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice