1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WG121 Green Lights, no internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jaberwocky, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jaberwocky

Jaberwocky Thread Starter

So the other day I bought a Netgear setup, I've got the router downstairs and the laptop working fine. However, my desktop has been a hell of a time...first I had to uninstall Norton Antivirus so that the Wireless Smart Wizard would actually boot up.

However, even though I can get a near perfect connection, I am unable to connect to the internet or AIM or anything really. Anyone else have these problems and have any suggestions, I've followed everything I could access on the Netgear site but it's too broad and useless (it looks like they only made 1 manual for everythin). I can see and access the other computers on the network, and if I go into DOS I can even Ping different computers, but can't bring anything up in IE (version 5.5.X) or any instant messaging software or telnet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Jaberwocky, Welcome to TSG !!
    Try going to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections Tab, Click on the Lan Settings button near the bottom, uncheck "Use automatic settings" and uncheck The box , if checked in the Proxy server section as well, then OK.
    Check your TCP/IP settings to make sure they are looking for an IP automatically.

3. Jaberwocky

Jaberwocky Thread Starter

Hi TW56...I tried that and everything there is set up as it should be. I have a little more detail on what's going on though...and it just keeps on changing, after re-running the Home Network Wizard other computers can now see mine on the network and access my files, however I still can not access the internet. I can however ping IP addresses such as 66.196.73.96 or my host IP address without any packet loss.

It has been suggested that I may have a firewall or pop-up blocker something else that's preventing the transfer, but I personally haven't installed any...anyone know how I would know if that's the case?

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

What Operating System are you running??
    What is the message you get when you open IE or AIM??
    Can you see the Netgear connection in the Netwrok Connections section of ControlPanel??
    What connections are listed in there??
    If you are using XP :
    Click Start, Control Panel, double–click Network Connections, right-click your network connection , Properties, Advanced tab, Under Internet Connection Firewall, uncheck the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you can ping an external IP address, you can get to the Internet.

Can you ping an external site by name (e.g. www.yahoo.com)
    If this doesn't work, then you have a DNS misconfiguration.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice