1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Whacky power settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Crusnik, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crusnik

Crusnik Thread Starter

When I unplug my laptop the battery shows at 100%. After 5 minutes, it goes into standy. If I take the force standby when battery is low option off, some interesting stuff happen:
    • Battery goes from 100% to 2% after 5 minutes
    • Battery lasts for around a hour
    • XP keeps giving errors that the battery is low

So why is XP freaking out about my battery after 5 minutes when it has a hour of battery life. It's getting annoying and I'm so confused.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the battery goes from 100% down to 2% in just 5 minutes that is too quick, I would have the computer checked for the power drain by a qualified repair tech I would contact the manufacturer of the computer and find out who they recommend for this they usually have repairs services in all areas of the country.

3. Crusnik

Crusnik Thread Starter

Only XP thinks its going from 100% to 2%. The battery lasts a hour, but XP thinks otherwise if you let it force the computer into standby.

4. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Mr. Brown,
    does the power meter stay at 2% for that hour?

5. Crusnik

Crusnik Thread Starter

It sure does. Wierd huh?

6. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Yup. This isn't a solution but just to make it less annoying, change the alarm levels in power settings to under 2%. However, this could be a more serious problem so I'd contact the manufacturer/retailer and ask why the hardware doesn't interact properly with the recommended operating system.

7. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

It might not be the operating system either, it could be a power level analysis glitch on the BIOS level.

8. Crusnik

Crusnik Thread Starter

Never thought about looking into BIOS. I'll look into that.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice