What’s wrong with my USB?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helpseeker

I have 3 computers:

A Dell Optiplex GX260 with 2 GHz Pentium 4, 2 GB RAM
A Dell Dimension 4700, with 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 3 GB RAM
An IBM T40 Thinkpad, with 1.3 GHz Pentium 3, 1.5 GB RAM

All are running WinXP Pro

I recently got a Flip USB mini camcorder, which works fine on the Thinkpad and Dimension, but is not recognized by the Optiplex. When I plug the Flip into any of the 6 USB ports, a balloon pops up saying “USB Device not recognized”. The Optiplex recognizes all my other USB devices, but not the Flip. None of the computers has USB 2.0.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong, and how I can fix this?

Snagglegaster

Banned
I have 3 computers:

A Dell Optiplex GX260 with 2 GHz Pentium 4, 2 GB RAM
A Dell Dimension 4700, with 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 3 GB RAM
An IBM T40 Thinkpad, with 1.3 GHz Pentium 3, 1.5 GB RAM

All are running WinXP Pro

I recently got a Flip USB mini camcorder, which works fine on the Thinkpad and Dimension, but is not recognized by the Optiplex. When I plug the Flip into any of the 6 USB ports, a balloon pops up saying “USB Device not recognized”. The Optiplex recognizes all my other USB devices, but not the Flip. None of the computers has USB 2.0.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong, and how I can fix this?
Try installing the software for your Flip. You can download the latest version here.

helpseeker

I already tried that. I installed it, and opened it. Then I plugged in the device. But all I get is "Not recognized". I rebooted twice; same results.

helpseeker

I was thinking. Since the Optiplex is older than the others, could it be that the BIOS is responsible for not recognizing the Flip, a rather new device? Would it make sense to update the BIOS? I can get the update from Dell. But I've never done a BIOS update before. What do I need to do, and what dangers/risks are involved?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online