1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What’s wrong with my USB?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by helpseeker, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I have 3 computers:

A Dell Optiplex GX260 with 2 GHz Pentium 4, 2 GB RAM
    A Dell Dimension 4700, with 2.8 GHz Pentium 4, 3 GB RAM
    An IBM T40 Thinkpad, with 1.3 GHz Pentium 3, 1.5 GB RAM

All are running WinXP Pro

I recently got a Flip USB mini camcorder, which works fine on the Thinkpad and Dimension, but is not recognized by the Optiplex. When I plug the Flip into any of the 6 USB ports, a balloon pops up saying “USB Device not recognized”. The Optiplex recognizes all my other USB devices, but not the Flip. None of the computers has USB 2.0.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong, and how I can fix this?

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you have all Windows updates for the Optiplex ?

3. helpseeker

Yes, all 3 have all the updates to date.

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Try installing the software for your Flip. You can download the latest version here.

5. helpseeker

I already tried that. I installed it, and opened it. Then I plugged in the device. But all I get is "Not recognized". I rebooted twice; same results.

6. helpseeker

I was thinking. Since the Optiplex is older than the others, could it be that the BIOS is responsible for not recognizing the Flip, a rather new device? Would it make sense to update the BIOS? I can get the update from Dell. But I've never done a BIOS update before. What do I need to do, and what dangers/risks are involved?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice