1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What A Wonderful Person

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Deke40, Jul 26, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Billy Graham is now 86 years old with Parkinson's disease.

In January 2000, leaders in Charlotte , North Carolina , invited their favorite son, Billy Graham, to a luncheon in his honor.

Billy initially hesitated to accept the invitation because he struggles with Parkinson's disease. But the Charlotte leaders said, "We don't expect a major address. Just come and let us honor you."

So he agreed.

After wonderful things were said about him, Dr. Graham stepped to the rostrum, looked at the crowd, and said, "I'm reminded today of Albert Einstein, the great physicist who this month has been honored by Time magazine as the Man of the Century. Einstein was once traveling from Princetonon a train when the conductor came down the aisle, punching the tickets of every passenger. When he came to Einstein, Einstein reached in his vest pocket. He couldn't find his ticket, so he reached in his trouser pockets. It wasn't there, so he looked in his briefcase but couldn't find it. Then he looked in the seat beside him.

He still couldn't find it.

The conductor said, "Dr. Einstein, I know who you are. We all know who you are. I'm sure you bought a ticket. Don't worry about it."

Einstein nodded appreciatively. The conductor continued down the aisle punching tickets. As he was ready to move to the next car, he turned around and saw the great physicist down on his hands and knees looking under his seat for his ticket.

The conductor rushed back and said, "Dr. Einstein, Dr. Einstein, don't worry, I know who you are. No problem. You don't need a ticket. I'm sure you bought one."

Einstein looked at him and said, "Young man, I too, know who I am. What I don't know is where I'm going.'"

Having said that Billy Graham continued, "See the suit I'm wearing? It's a brand new suit. My wife, my children, and my grandchildren are telling me I've gotten a little slovenly in my old age. I used to be a bit more fastidious. So I went out and bought a new suit for this luncheon and one more occasion.

You know what that occasion is? This is the suit in which I'll be buried. But when you hear I'm dead, I don't want you to immediately remember the suit I'm wearing. I want you to remember this:

I not only know who I am .. I also know where I'm going."

Attached Files:

2. poochee

poochee

Deke...That's an inspirational story!:)

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

Thought this was another Mulder thread! :cool:

4. moonmist

moonmist

Thought wrong.............. again:p

5. deh

deh

Very nice Deke.
    Billy Graham is a great man.

6. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Yes and it is sad to see his health failing him.

7. deh

deh

It is but i have heard recent interview clips and actually he has had some sermons not too far back and he is very looking forward to going to Heaven. :)

8. smooth

smooth

First Name:
    Garrett
    Thanks for sharing this great story :D(y)

A true inspiration

9. deh

deh

Deke,
    I happened to look it up and here is a clip from an interview he did with Larry King aired on Dec. 25, 2005:

KING: I don't want to be macabre. Nobody lives forever. We've talked about death a lot when you have been with us. This might be your last interview.

GRAHAM: It could be. I'm looking forward to that. I mean, I look forward to this terrifically, but I am looking forward to heaven even more.

KING: You're looking forward to dying?

GRAHAM: Yes.

KING: In other words, if you died tonight, this would be a happy evening?

GRAHAM: But I heard you say that you didn't want to be there.

KING: An old Woody Allen joke. Not afraid of death, just don't want to be there.

GRAHAM: But you're right, if I died right now, I would be very happy.

KING: Why?

GRAHAM: Because I know what's ahead. It's a paradise that we are going to go into, because to be in the presence of God itself will be a paradise. And I have total, total certainty of that from scripture. And I believe the Bible. I believe that I have received Jesus Christ into my heart. I believe that he has covered all of my sins.

And I had an experience where I thought I was dying. I was at the Mayo Clinic about four years ago and having -- I have had three brain operations, and that is my biggest problem now is hydrocephalus, and they were trying to get stents into my brain, and one night I thought, this was it, and during the night I prayed and told the Lord that, please receive me into his presence. And all of a sudden, all of my sins came before me. Everything I had ever done wrong that I had forgotten about years ago came into my mind. And I prayed, Lord, forgive me, may the blood of Jesus Christ cleanse me from all of my sins.

And I had the greatest peace come over me, and that peace has not left me since. And I am very certain that the Lord was ready to receive me at that time -- not because of my good works or because of all the things I have tried to do, but because the Lord had forgiven me.

Entire transcript can be found here.
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0512/25/lkl.11.html

10. Deke40

Deke40 Thread Starter

Deh-Thanks for that link. Talk about an humble man.(y)

11. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

I really love listening to Billy's sermons when they are on TV! (y) :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!