1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Affordable Image Editing Software for Retouching?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jason_paul, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jason_paul

jason_paul Thread Starter

I am trying to learn how to edit and retouch photos. I am finding it a very tough thing to do. I used to paint and draw and even published in newspapers and magazine, so I was quite confident of my abilities to make the computer do what I want. I am not able to do much. I am not sure how to crop photos. I cannot seem to correct colors and especially skin tones. I can see something is not right, but I cannot make correctit. Usually, I am just undoing the numerous changes that I make. I am wondering if it is not me but the software I am using. What should I do? Should I just worth through the softwares I have right now? Is Adob'es PS indispensible? I would rather not dispense with the high cost of it. Which of the softwares I have is something I should plough on?
    Thanks for your suggestions and time

2. slipe

slipe

Photoshop isn’t necessary. But you are going to have to get something that has lots of tutorials online so you can start getting ideas of how to proceed. IMO that leaves Elements and Paint Shop Pro.

Most Photoshop tutorials can be easily adapted to Elements and there are more Photoshop tutorials than for anything else. Elements is stunted to a degree to keep a market for the full Photoshop. But I don’t think you will encounter too many limitations.

Paint Shop Pro is a more complete program but it is harder to adapt Photoshop tutorials. There are plenty of PSP tutorials though.

I’ve used Photoshop since version 3 and feel comfortable with it. I still have to consult tutorials occasionally. If I couldn’t continue in Photoshop for some reason I would transition to Paint Shop Pro. It has features missing in programs like Elements I couldn’t do without.

Cropping is very easy with either program. You put the dimensions you want for the final crop in the boxes and it constrains the crop to that proportion. In the meantime you might try this little freeware: http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/

You can pick up completely legal copies of either PSP or Elements on Ebay for $30. Be careful that they are Adobe or Corel CDs and that you can register them. The latest version of Elements is 5 and for PSP is XI.

There is also some good freeware but there aren’t as many tutorials. Gimp is a bear to learn but there is a GUI called GimpShop that lets you use a lot of Photoshop tutorials and makes it easier to use. Paint.NET is good as well, but has limited tutorials.

What software do you currently have?

3. Sushifiend

Sushifiend

Is your display calibrated?

4. luke_simon

luke_simon

I also started editing photos a few months ago. There are several good photo editing programs but I use Image Photo. I find it very useful and well explained. You can download easily from http://www.imagic-photo.com/download.html You should download and read their tutorials. This should get you on the right path.
    Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597204

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice