1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What am I doing Wrong

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by regerror, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. regerror

regerror Thread Starter

I was starting to have problems with a 3 year old Compaq Presario so I though I would try to upgrade some parts. Now my computer will not boot up or even post.

First I got a new motherboard and power supply. Then I tried new memory. Then I tried a new processor. Now none of any of my new or old parts will boot in any combination. I am very close to tossing the whole mess in the trash and rebuilding with a new core 2 system.

This is my first attempt at messing with hardware and it is going badly.

Please help me if you can.

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

...because you broke the golden rule on upgrading....Upgrade Only One Thing At A Time! If you don't follow this rule, well, you already know. You have no idea what works and what doesn't.

Start from the beginning. Put all the old stuff back and boot up. If it still doesn't work (and it worked before), you may have broken something.

Good luck

Courtney

3. regerror

regerror Thread Starter

I have put the computer back together using every possible combination of new and/or old parts. The old board gives off memory error beeps and the case and processor fans run at full speed on both boards, thats it.

I wonder if there is any way to test a power supply. I think that my new one might have screwed up both my boards. Either that or I had some kinda static shock or grounding problem as I am putting this thing together on a steal table.

at any rate something must be broke.

4. tecknomage

tecknomage

Your power supply idea (damaging motherboard) could be, which means you made a very expensive mistake.

Note, not all power supplies are equal. Some are for AT boards, some for E-PCI (PCI Express) boards, etc. If you use the wrong one you can blow your motherboard. Some power supplies are adaptable. Like the one in my home desktop which can be use with the older motherboards & the new E-PCI motherboards, depending on how you connect them to the motherboard.

When upgrading, Courtneyc, is absolutely correct. I would add, upgrading the power supply is the last item you should do.

Since you upgraded your motherboard, that has to be the key for everything else you need. Power supply, type of memory, type of video and sound cards (if not in-built on motherboard), and the processor/heatsink.

By the way, are you sure you have the correct memory DIMM for your motherboard? DIMMs that are exactly what your motherboard specifies. Note that most descriptions on motherboard manufacturer's sites for memory are summaries, NOT full specs.

Here's an examples of DIMM full specs:
    1GB, DDR PC2100, CL=2.5, ECC, Registered, 128Meg x 72, 184 Pin DIMM, DDR266, 2.5v
    1GB, DDR, PC2700, ECC, 128Meg x 72, 184 Pin DIMM, DDR333, 2.5v, CL=2.5

For example on how this effects your build, my motherboard at home cannot use "Registered" DIMMs.

Your other mistake, was putting your system together on a steal table, big no-no. Steal table not= anti-static table.

Also, are you sure all other connections to your new motherboard are correct? Power switch, LEDs, fan power cables, etc.; and some connections may have orientation requirements (like your IDE HD ribbon cables).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice