1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What AMD XP motherboard should I get...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computer-aces, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

I'm upgrading my PC with an AMD XP 1900 and 512 MB DDR. What motherboard should I get? I would like the KT266A chipset, at least ATA-100 (ATA-133 would be nice), at least 4 USB ports, AGP Pro, and any other things that would be good. I don't need any onboard sound, video, RAID, or NIC. I was looking at the SOYO SY-K7V Dragon Plus, but I think it's more than I really need. But, I could use the SmarCard reader. I also looked at the Soltek SL-75DRV2. Tom's Hardware recommended this one. Plus it's better for overclocking (which I might do).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Cory

2. richardp

richardp

3. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

Seems pretty nice. Only ATA-100 and can only put in 1.5 GB in RAM. I don't see me using this much any time soon, but hey, who thought I'd be using 512 a couple years ago. Also, no AGP Pro.

Hmmm....

Still a tough choice.

Cory

4. brianF

brianF

the gamers seem to like this one EPOX 8KHA+ KT266A, at least the boards I visit. they a bunch of overclocking fools too.

5. deuce

deuce

For the AMD XP, I'd say get something with the KT266A chipset... to me each brand doesn't make much of a difference inside of MSI, ASUS, ABIT and Intel. (I don't prefer one over the other) What I do is find all the boards from those 4 with the socket and chipset that I want and pick the one that supports the best ballence between cpu support, memory support and anything else, such as if it has ATA-133, more than 2 USB roots and other features like onboard LAN and DLED. If you find it, (which usually is the easiest one) get the one without onboard sound and video. On most boards onboard sound and video is usually bare-minimun quality. I haven't used Epox before but probably because I just haven't yet, so I couldn't tell you anything on the quality... but these two guys would know best about that.

6. stanggt2

stanggt2

check out the new IWILL XP333 it use ATA 133 plus you can use DDR ram up to pc-3000

7. Corvus

Corvus

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice