1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What antivirus do I need???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Charliesmomu, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu Thread Starter

Hi...please forgive this idiot-status question but I'm a learner!
    I have two pcs, networked using a belkin Router. The main pc has NIV on it.
    This weekend I reformatted and installed XP professional on my ailing upstairs pc (8 years old, and a total mishmash of bits!) and it has a new lease of life! BUT as yet it has no antivirus , and just the XP firewall.
    The pc will be used for running MSN messenger, playing on Runescape (an online game) and downloading pictures as it is used by my 13 yr old daughter! Outlook Express will not be used and no downloading programmes, she occasionally uses web based mail tho.
    A friend who told me how to format the pc, also said not to bother with Anti virus as it would just slow it down, but I'm a bit dubious, having suffered enough viruses in the past (albeit mostly through email).
    I have bought the lates McAfee ready to install but am a bit unsure whether it will mess up my router etc. I haven't the confidence to fiddle with much unless I have very clear instructions!

Please can you advise me??

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

3. Charliesmomu

Charliesmomu Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice