What Are All These desktop.ini Files Cluttering My Desktop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Anchoret

Here's one with a lock on the icon:

[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected]%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

[LocalizedFileNames]

Here's another on the same box:

[.ShellClassInfo]
[email protected]%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

These are annoying and I'd like to get rid of them, if they're just a bunch of redundant muck.

Thanks for any help!

=========================================
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 2 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16350 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (87 GB Free); D: 931 GB (909 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., 970A-UD3P
Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Disabled

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Please Edit your post and remove the empty part.

Those Desktop.ini files are part of Windows and are visible because you have set it to show hidden and system files. You can safely delete them and they should stop appearing after a while.

Anchoret

OK. I thought they were probably of no consequence. We'll see what happens.

The problem with the excess lines was mysterious.

Thanks!

managed

Allan
Ok, give it a few days and see how it goes.

It did look strange.

You're welcome.

I leave my ini files alone and position them at the top left of the desktop next to the recycle bin. To keep my desktop from getting too crowded I create 7 folders (I can assign them appropriate icons as well). Utilities, Internet, Audio and Video Tools, Burn & Play, Security, Games and finally Graphics. As I get more and more icons on the desktop, I open the appropriate folder and drag and drop them into their different folders. Burn and Play has Imgburn, Virtual clone drive and Media Player Classic Home Cinema. Security has my Antivirus Firewall and Malware Tools and so on.

When I want to open something, I first open the folder and choose what I want to run from there. If I'm playing a specific Game or two I can drag them out of the folder and place them directly on the desktop, and when I'm finished drag them back to the folder. I must have 50 games in my folder, most of them installed to my E drive to keep my C drive as small as possible so I don't have to wait for days to defrag C and all the game files when I do. Of course it takes a long time to defrag E but I only do it once or twice a year.

Another cool thing about installing games to E, if for some reason I have to reinstall windows to C, when I go to reinstall the game files I point the install to E > Program files or Program Files (x86) I create there just to make the switch to install to E very easy (I just change the installer from C to E and boom). Most of the time the game will recognize the files there and install registry entries and save game folders in a few seconds.

dmccoy

Darrin
These probably only show on your desktop if you have “Hide protected operating system files” disabled. Usually it is best to enable this option.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Anchoret:

Even though it has nothing to do with why you started this thread, I noticed something in your TSGSIU log that I thought I should mention.
You might want to consider replacing that very weak NVIDIA GeForce 210 graphic card.
There are several better performing low wattage NVIDIA models that you can choose from.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online