1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Are BIOS and How To Access?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by incrediblej, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. incrediblej

incrediblej Thread Starter

hey all, i am new to this BIOS stuff, i recently got a message (error) on my laptop running vista on an ACER TravelMate 4325WLMi Laptop saying:

Check with yuor hardware vendor for any updates. Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f* to selct advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

okay... my questions is where do i get bios updates. how do i access bios and any other info on bios would be great (what is it, what does it do etc etc) and why would i get this error?

thanks heaps in advance.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello was there an error number

3. incrediblej

incrediblej Thread Starter

not sure, i didnt write anything down, sorry. but i still wish to know my original question about what BIOS are and how toa ccess them. I have also downloaded a F;ash Bios from the acer.com.au site that is an update i am going to install... should i do this?

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

If you dont know what the bios is is it not advisable to be messing with it

Bios is a short for " basic input/output system " and is built in computer software to control vital hardware functions of a PC. The Bios is usually loaded from the computers rom chip to it's ram chip when the computer is first booted up (this is to avoid being deleted by disk drive failures). A bios controls computer hardware such as disk drives, cd roms, floppy disk drives, keyboards, memory and more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice