1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what are ".CAB" files ?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by honestron, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. honestron

honestron Thread Starter

i was just wondering,.....as i have a really small hard drive and im low on space,........ i am trying to rid as many useless and uneccesssary files as possible,........

i have been deleting all my winzips that have accumulated, but have one particularly large file in the form of .cab which is the i386,
    i already have the i386 folder opened and seem to have this i386.cab as a compressed version.

so any thought if i can chuck it ?.......

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I would personally keep that one. Most .CAB files are for the system if you ever needed to reinstall a system file.

3. jerryk2002

jerryk2002

I recommend that you never touch ".CAB" files at all. All of them are for system files. If you do you will end up non-function PC in your hand!

Good luck!
    JK

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ah, there are many .cab files that will and can get downloaded when you download software, once you uninstall the software, or burn the .cab files, etc. to a cdrom, there is no sense in keeping them on your hard drive eating up space ;)

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I concur with AcaCandy about burning the .CAB files to CD-ROM... If you can you should consider backing them up because some programs may need to look in those .CAB files for some files it needs.

6. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    What Candy said!

And: windows will usually copy .cab files to the HDD as part of the installation process. While these are handy to have on the HDD, they are not completely necessary, as long as you have the original installation CD.

As jerryk2002 said, if Windows needs to reinstall a missing or corrupt system file it will do so through those .cab files. If it does not see the files it will prompt you to insert your Windows CD.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217391

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice