1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are common files and why are they there?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Leiki, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leiki

Leiki Thread Starter

This is like the 3rd time I've seen the Common Files folder in my C:\Program Files directory. What exactly are they and why are they there? They have folders in there of programs I've never used in my life! Also why do they come back after I delete them?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I think they are files that multiple programs may share. I don't know what they are exactly, but it is probably required if Windows re-creates the file

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

They are indeed shared files, and if you don't know what you're doing there, deleting anything out of there is a very bad idea! When you uninstall stuff, some files do occasionally get left behind there, but deleting willy-nilly there might cause lots of problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!