1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are "compress old files"?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gabriel, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi, I have Windows 2000, and when I do the Disc Clean-up, there is a Compress Old Files with 3,187 KB of files....what are they, and can I delete them?

2. Christia

Christia

Compressing files, folders, or programs decreases the size and reduces the amount of space they use up on your drives or removable storage drives. Don't worry, this will not harm your Computer in any way by using it from the Windows Disk Clean Up operation. To compress the files, simply put a tick mark (just click on the compress files options by clicking the little box that appears next to it) and anything else you may or may not want the Disk Cleanup to clean up and click okay, and then yes at the prompt asking if you really want to do it. (y)

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

This is a known issue with Win2k and WinXP. Disk Cleanup is freezing because it is searching for old files that should be compressed. To clear this up run regedit, click on My Computer. Open up Edit and click on Find.

Type in "Compress Old" (less the quotation marks) and click Find Next. Regedit will find the Compress Old Files key. Press Delete and when it asks if you are sure click OK. Restart your computer and Disk Cleanup will work.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!