1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are Computer Science students studing?

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by jsize466, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jsize466

jsize466 Thread Starter

If there are any university students out there that are studying Computer Science, what is the first language they teach? Java? C++? just wondering :eek:

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Visual Basic

3. Lenny1882

Lenny1882

It depends on the University, I think.

I'm off to Durham to do Computer Science this October, and the first language they teach is Java, using a program called BlueJ.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Neither Java nor C++ are good first languages if the student has never programmed before.

That said, a student accepted into a Computer Science program should have a few languages under the belt: C, Fortran is still used in scientific computing (it was my first language), and it would not hurt to learn an assembler language like Intel i686.

Always prefer to study or learn a language that has a symbolic debugger rather than not. Get to know how to step through a program using the symbolic debugger and how to look at each statement's translation into the disassembled machine language, and how to look at memory locations, and how to set breakpoints to stop the program in its tracks at a statement number so you can do those things.

gcc, gdb are good tools, open source, on almost every Unix/Linux - get to know how to use `em.

Focus on learning the concepts of programming and especially data structures which are fundamental to programming in any language. Learn the differences between languages and how to code the same algorithm in different languages.

-- Tom

5. jsize466

jsize466 Thread Starter

I know neither Java or C++ are good first languages. What I was wondering was what they are teaching in CS cousrses today. I went to Western Kentucky U. in the early 90's and it was Pascal. I was reading a article about Java making bad CS graduates. I did not finish my CS degree actualy I got a Business degree, but I work in IT, and was thinking of going back to get a degree in CS. (Better late than never)

6. burnthepc

burnthepc

I'm being taught C++ and a bit of intel x86 assembler. Next year we do Java and SQL.

I didn't know any languages before C++ and everyone seems to say it's not a good 1st language. I think it's quite possible, and it has the added bonus of not knowing that it's complex and dangerous compared to other languages.

Eg. It seems natural to keep track of your memory allocations and freeing them, but many people coming from a language with garbage collection may think this is asking for trouble and needlessly complex.

7. titanalive

titanalive

The first language i was taught was C Thats the base they start with here in India but its right different universities follow different rules. Although C++ is not that bad to start off with its better you get some basics under your belt before entering this field as it becomes simpler to understand higher languages and their features. Most languages have their base defined in C and C++ and frankly java was derived from c++ so learn these two before going into any language.

If you start from visual basic it wobt be a bad idea but you would not understand the basic and concepts unless you have no base.
    In this field if you know only coding and no logic behind the coding no one respects you and you get shrugged of aside as there are many people out there who will be waiting to run over you.

Dont joke around with this field either get the basics right and venture ahead or dont bother as it can eat you up. Remember this the stronger your perception the stronger you are in execution. This field is like an art where to create something you need to have an imagination. So dont mess around with it its an intresting field as long as you respect and love it. You take it for granted the field will boot you out.

8. Justawind

Justawind

I am working on my AA in IT and we are learning java. Ughhh what a nightmare!

9. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I'm at the University of Washington and the first thing they teach us is Java. We started out learning 'old school' static programming and then moved on to object oriented programing.
    First we learned Arrays, methods, different variables, worked a little with the scanner object, and did some graphics. A lot of control. The next part of the intro course focused on data manipulation and coming up with algorithms.
    I think it was a great way to learn. I did program before the course, but I think even for someone with no programing experience it would have been easy.

10. Regicide

Regicide

First course was in Java, then assembly, then C/C++. My university only has two Java classes that you must take first then it is all C++ or assembly. I personally think there needs to be focus on newer languages as processors are getting faster and the performance benefits from coding in assembly and c++ are getting insignificant.

11. Geek4Life

Geek4Life

I am not a University Student, so I can't necerally say that, but what I can say, as a High School Student, my school offers three levels of computer science programs (Computer Concepts 1, Computer Concepts 2, and AP Computer Sciences (the third of which, when dropped made me verry angry and has forced me to take a college equivelent course instead, but th, at's irrelevent here)). Computer Concepts 1 was programming in QBASIC; Computer Concepts 2 is programing in JAVA, and AP Computer Sciences was supposed to be another JAVA course (tough transition from procederal to Object Oriented Programming). Just a little deeper insight that i thought might be of interest. Take it as a grain of salt, I don't think many High School's offer thesse courses.

12. tomherry2

tomherry2

any university never teach first java and c++. Maximum university start with Computer fundamental. Most of university start programing with 'C' Language. I think 'C' Language is best way to learn programing concept. most of basic syntex followed by maximum programing language e.g:- Control statement like if switch case etc. , loop , sequence control flow of control etc.

According to me most of university start with 'C' language. It should be.............

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice