1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are correct temp. settings with a Micro-Star 6330 Lite M'board & 1 GHz Athlon?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gary R, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

I downloaded a program called MBProbe which gives M'board & CPU temperatures/voltages/fan speeds. It has settings for 4 sensors but I don't know which ones to use. Here's what MBProbe's default's say:

Temperatures Tab: Motherboard Warning: 104F/Critical warning: 113F
    CPU Warning: 140F/Critcal 149F
    Aux1 Warning: 140F/Critical 149F
    Aux2 Warning: 104F/113F

The choices of temperature sensors it gives are VT82C686A:2; VT82C686A:3; ASUS Cusl 2; Tekram.
    ---
    Adjustment of temperature offsets/Celsius for M'board, CPU, Aux 1, 2 are all set at +0
    "Voltage Divders" setting is "Normal", but program gives settings choice for Winbond, Tekram, ABit K7, FIC AZ-11, PC-Chips M590, PC-Chips M599, QDI BX1
    --
    And in the CPU Info tab, it says: AuthenticAMD Athlon TBird; Family 6 Model 4 Stepping 2, 1.70V
    SMBus: Via VT82C686B port 5000h
    =====

Basically, I would like to know what the correct settings would be for the MS-6330 Board.

As I'm typing this, room temperature is 69 F. & prog says cpu temp is 82F.

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

I have a very similar system (minus the dvd) which is running at 124.5F right now, I've seen it get up to 130 before. Never had a problem

3. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

What temperatures can the 6330 Board handle before problems would start?
    I'm using a program call MBProbe and its Motherboard defaults are:
    :
    Warning ... 104F
    CRITICAL Warning ... 113
    :
    And for the CPU they are:
    Warning: 140F
    Critical Warning: 149F.
    :
    I notice the Athlon Thunderbird 1.0 GHz. Processor runs about 38 to 40 degrees F. WARMER than room temperature. Only fans in it are on the 300W. ATX power supply, and a CoolerMaster DP5-6H53 fan on the CPU which is 4600RPM/18.36 CFM on the CPU.
    As I'm typing this, room temp is 55F & CPU is 93F. M'board is 76F.
    :
    During the summer I don't run the Airconditioning very often due to the utility charges, so room temp will reach 95 - 98F in the computer room on many days.
    The comp is unobstructed as to airflow on the left side as you look at the front panel, and in the rear, but the right side, because of the angle it sits at is 8" to 18" away from the wall.

4. deuce

deuce

Those warning and critical temps look ok. Anyone would kill to get their cpu running under 35C so anywhere near that is really good. AMD runs hotter than others, so I'm not sure, but idle should be around 40-45C and peak should be around 50-55C. That processor should be able to take 80C fine... but don't puch it. Anything above that starts to get into the burnout zone... but I don't konw hte exact number off hand that AMD says that chip will fry. Unless the cpu fan goes or you get some other kind of unusual circumstance... you won't ever see that thing go above 70C. Anything above probably 60 will start to degrade performance noticably, so the lower you can get the temp the faster it goes. In the summer, try to have atleast a fan going in the computer room on the very hot days, but it won't damage it at all if you don't. If you have monitering software, (which it sounds like you do) you should set it to shutdown if the cpu fan goes, warn if the cpu fan drops below 4000 RPM, warn if the cpu temp goes above 65C and chut down at 75C.

5. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

What are the safe operating temperatures for the board, and the processor??
    Am using the MBProbe temperatures program. Default "First Warning" for overheating of the Board is 104F (40C) & critical Overheat is 109F. (c. 43C)
    :
    The default temp for the CPU "First Warning" is 140F (60C) with "Critical Overheat" at 149F (c. 66C).
    :
    I mentioned this to tech at place I bought comp from and he about fell down: "Oh no, you don't want the CPU temp THAT high either idling or under a load! The CPU will fry itself BEFORE reaching 140F, and that 104F as first warning is set way too high, should be set at 90F--92F at the most--to avoid Motherboard failure."
    :::
    CPU Fan is 4600 RPM CoolerMaster, & only other fan is the exhaust fan for the ATX 300 W. Powersupply....
    As I'm typing this the ambient room temp is 65F (18.3 C) & CPU temp is 102.1 (roughly 38C)

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I'll tell you this.

I have a PII350

runs @ 37C overclocked to 467MHZ

The motherboard utility cpu over temperature is set to 75C which is exactly where it is suppose to be for me. NOw if my proc ever got that hot, it would fry.

NOw the athlons run a lot hotter than my proc. If it runs at 40-55C I wouldn't worry about it, but try to keep it at 40C or lower if you really can.

that's just my suggestion.

here is a better source http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=4625

7. deuce

deuce

cpu critical temp can be raised a bit...

8. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Why I'm worrying re the board AND CPU temp's is that during the summer due to utility charges, I don't run airconditioning very often, so its fairly common for the room's temp to be 95 - 98 F (Roughly 36C) & temps at nite are often in mid-80's F (Roughly 29C)
    So I was trying to figure out what temp I can run the comp at before having to turn it off to avoid damaging the board and/or CPU....
    ++
    at times this winter the temp in the room has been as low as 55F (about 13C?) while using the comp.

9. deuce

deuce

Set your critical temp (so it shuts down and this temp) to 75C or so and you should be fine. If it actually gets up to that temp (which is unlikely) it will run very slow, but that temp won't hurt the cpu. Maybe someone else will have a better opinion.

10. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

167 F (75C)!
    --
    Hmmmmmmm ....... I don't play many games (yet, but am thinking of getting one of the "Quake" series, or something similar later). Right now only game on the comp is that olde classic :p "Gorillas" in glorious QuickBasic 4.5 :)
    Do quite a bit of websurfing, and work with Word 2K at present
    That's kinda the problem of I encountered re the temp's :) One hand "Don't let critical get that high! (60 C)!" & "75C is ok" :)
    Right now with a room temp of 62F, the CPU temp according to the "PC Health" thing in the Award 6.0 BIOS, is 101F, & "System Temp" is 76F.
    ++
    When I got this comp, I had choice of 2 fans ... a quiet one which is 4,600 RPM, and the noisier one ("Sounds kinda like a jet"), so since I live in an Apt., I got the quiet one.
    i THINK the 4600 RPM fan is 18cfm, have no idea what cfm/rpm Exhaust fan for the power supply is....

11. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

When I turned the comp on this morning, room temp was 52F, and PC Health gave System temp as 57, & cpu as 82.
    BUT the MBProbe prog gave the Motherboard temp as 78, and AUX1 & AUX 2 temps as 57!
    The MBProbe reading of the CPU temp was within a degree or so of what PC Health said it was, but I forgot to write it down.
    So, should I try to set the reading for the Motherboard the same as the AUX temp's. or what :confused:

12. Siriusbusiness

Siriusbusiness

Hi There i have the same Motherboard and Athlon 1 gig cpu, im getting 40-41celsius at that temp your fine AMD CPU tend to run a little hot anyway, you want to make sure you have a good contact with the heatsink and cpu useing thermal grease as any air between can effect the temp by a few degrees.
    By the way im having one problem with the Motherboard i cant set my FBS to 133mhz it just resets back to default setting which is 100mhz do you have any problems like this?

13. deuce

deuce

ok... 82 is kinda hot. It shouldn't be getting that high. Did you build/upgrade it or did others do that? Seems like maybe the thermal compound wasn't evenly applied... I don't know.

14. Gary R

Gary R Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the info re temps, the Motherboard shouldn't go over what -- 90, 100 even on hot summer days before I'd have to turn it off?
    :
    Mine still has the builder's seal ("Removing this may void your warrantee") on it, so have never looked inside it at the fan's & CPU....
    Far as I know, mine's been running at 133 all along, but not sure where to look in BIOS to find out for sure. I'm more of a user than knowing much on technical things :)

15. deuce

deuce

100-110 should be good settings for the motherboard

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice