1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are my options for upgrading?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PrivatePC, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Here are my current specifications
    Windows 7 basic
    Asus A99x mobo
    8gb of patriot Ram
    AMD Phenom ii x4 960t @ 3.0 Ghz - 3.2 overclocked
    Crossfired Sapphire HD Radeon 6850 graphics cards
    ModxStreamPro PSU @ 700watts

The only upgrading I have done since I built the machine was the extra Graphics Card, but I'm going to be switching to Nvidia once I get the money.

I want to start playing newer games at higher graphics with better frames per second, I am talking games like Arma 2 (Dayz) Crysis 3, Battlefield 3 ect.. I feel like my processor isn't beefy enogh and since my Motherboard doesn't support Intel I have to stick with AMD. What are my processor options with my motherboard? I can't go too far over two hundred dollars.

2. replay

replay

3. dai

dai

ModxStreamPro PSU @ 700watts=junk

would expect to see a min quality 80+750w psu in it ,preferably a 850w

quality psu's come with a 5-7yr warranty

seasonic
    xfx
    corsair hx,tx,ax,axi models only

4. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Yes, I meant the M5A99x. I don't know why I left out the "m5".

I went through that link you posted and my options look pretty good as far as price.. but as far as quality what do you think? I think the six cores would be good for the type of gaming I want.
    And do I need to invest in a new psu, Dai?

5. Simba7

Simba7

YES

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your board will support a fx8350 as long as you update the bios. This is what I would go with [in fact the system I am using now is running a fx8350 overclocked to 4.5gig] It will be quite an improvement over what you currently have installed.

Next get a quality corsair [not builder series] seasonic, pcpower&cooling or FSP pw supply to go along with your new cpu.

Make sure you do the bios update before installing the new cpu. Once it reboots with the new bios, shutdown and swap cpus. Clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. Pw ON and enter the bios. Make any custom settings you need ie sata mode, boot order, hard disk priority, etc. Save settings and restart.

Now have fun upping the clock speed to see how fast it will go :)

7. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Oh! So my motherboard does support eight cores! I thought differently. It's not too pricy either.

Only thing is the thought of me updating my bios gives me nightmeres. I'm afriad of losing my motherboard, or even my computer. I did ready that it's easier for my type of motherboard, but still. :eek:

8. Simba7

Simba7

It's not as scary as it sounds. Just follow the directions and make sure it has a solid power connection.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With an asus board, use ez-flash NOT the windows based bios updating tool. Read your manual as to how to use ezflash; it is not difficult however be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure.

10. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

Okay, I will look into it more when I get the processor. thanks. If I have any questions I'll post here.

11. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

12. Simba7

Simba7

Ha.. http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4989
    Blew the secondary switching transistors in a test? Wow. I would've loved to see the scope shot before it blew.

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

That why I use and only recommend SeaSonic built units as they deliver above their rated outputs. I have a pile of dead video cards and motherboards due to people using low quality power supplies because they think they deliver their advertised wattage output when in fact, they don't.

14. PrivatePC

PrivatePC Thread Starter

I can lose my gpu and mobo due to that psu? I'v only had it for about a year..

15. dai

dai

if a psu decides to go,if you are lucky you just lose the psu

if you are unlucky you could lose everything or be somewhere in between

quality units you usually just lose the psu

i had a silverstone go ,while in sleep mode i just lost the psu in my computer but

it damaged the sat tv box and i thought the tv had exploded

it took out the front wireless doorbell

it took out everything in my daughters computer which was turned off

it took out the ups backup power

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice