1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what are normal core temps for a quad core q9550 on air cooling?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sphinx, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

I have a xigmatek rifle cpu cooler on a quad core q9550 processor , and I am wondering what should my core temps be?

Coretemp is showing (at idle)-
    core0 - 49 C
    core1 - 46 C
    core2 - 45 C
    core3 - 55 C

Why is core3 so much higher? Is it possible the thermal compound above the core3 is not as spread out as it is on the other cores? I used arctic silver 5 and followed the instructions to put the compound on as a single line across the cores of the cpu.

Also, I have speedfan 4.34, and for some reason it reports different core temperatures
    core0 - 42 C
    core1 - 42 C
    core2- 40 C
    core3 - 51 C

Also, what is the "internal temp" and "remote temp" that speedfan reports. It also seems to have confused the CPU with "System" as CPU is showing 23 C and System 37 C.

Lastly, my video card, ATI HD4870 seems to run so hot!
    temps at IDLE are
    GPU temp - 77C
    GPU Load 0%
    Fan Sped 1288 RPM
    GPU Temp (DISPIO) 77.5
    GPU TEMP (MEMIO) 86 C
    GPU Temp (SHADERCORE) 82.5 C
    VDDC Current 29.8 Amps
    VDDC slave #1 temp 63 C
    VDDC slave #2 temp 66 C
    VDDC slave #3 temp 63 C
    VDDC 1.2625 V

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

can someone also explain what the "CPU temp" reported in the BIOS is. Is this a sensor of winbond - where is this reading taken from..., whereas the core temps are more accurate? Why are speedfan and coretemp reporting different temperatures for my cores?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The cpu temp displayed in the bios should be the most accurate.

I am not familiar with that cooler. I have been using arctic pro coolers on two amd builds and I have very pleased with how they work. One of them is my own system. It is running @32C right now. AMD 6400+ [which is a pretty hot running cpu]

What kind of case do you have?
    Size and number of exhaust fans?

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

The case is currently open (no side door) because I am still doing some work on it.

There is a 120mm rear exhaust fan (blowing out), and a 120mm front fan near the hard drives.

There is also a 250mm fan on the side door but that is not currently connected. The CPU fan is also 120mm but not connected (that's right the CPU has ONLY the heatsink on it, although the heatsink is very tall, and near the rear exhaust fan so for now it is fine.

I was just wondering why the heck speedfan and coretemp are reporting different core temperatures. When people talk about their cpu running idle at 32 C for example, are they talking about the bios CPU temp (not the core temps as on a quad core for example - I assume these are supposed to be significantly hotter).

Speedfan is showing two different sensors (besides the core temps):
    ADT7475
    Winbond 83627DHG.

I think the ADT one is the correct one for the CPU reading.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

I can only ask this question, why is the cooler fan not connected? :confused:

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

because it is huge (120mm) and gets in the way of things. I am still working on the computer. Also the heatsink is huge and near the rear exhaust fan so it is doing fine right now (of course this is all temporary)

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

You can't get accurate temperatures running a machine with passive cooling (which is essentially what you are doing at the present time) when the chassis was designed for active cooling.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Speedfan is a fine app and I use it however it often shows flakey readings. If you verify the temp speedfan displays with the bios temp, then it is fine.

Next there is going to be a very big difference between bios reported temp and temp you see in windows IF you have Cool & Quiet enabled in the bios. C&Q lowers vcore voltage and cpu speed when not needed. I generally disable this since all of the amd builds I have done run pretty cool anyway.

Usually most high end motherboards come with some type of utility for reading temp, overclocking, etc. If you have an asus board, this is asus probe; other mfg call it by other names. I currently have a gigabyte board and they call it easytune.
    Load whatever utility came with your board and see what it reports.

BTW I agree you will never get accurate temp reading without the cpu fan. I really see no need for huge heatsink/fans. I usually use the stock cooler that comes with the cpu. In the case of the system I am using now, it was a black edition cpu so no cooler came with the cpu. I bought a $25 cooler that does a great job and fits in the case with no problem. Now in the cool morning, it is running a 6400+ @28C with C&Q disabled; ie cpu running at full speed.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Hmmm... I don't recall seeing any cool n quiet option in the BIOS. I would like speedfan to be my primary source of information for temperatures. Can you help me, or direct me to a site that give good instructions on how to calibrate the core temp reading (DTS), and also the Tcase (the cpu reading).

Also, for some reason, in the BIOS the North Bridge i always reporting a higher temperature.

When I boot into BIOS, it is usually something like -

CPU 36 C
    NB 52 C
    SB 42 C

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are going about this backwards.
    1 Read you manual and become familiar with the bios settings.

2 Install a proper hsf; one that fits in the case. No amd chip made in the last 12yrs has been designed for passive cooling. Use either the stock cooler or at least one that fits. If using the stock cooler, check the mating surface to see how level it is. I place it on a piece of glass or something similar. If there are gaps, use 200grit sandpaper, then finish with 800girt. This will give a level surface. Use either a sanding block OR place the sandpaper on a pane of glass.

3 Once you are done with the above, enter the bios and disable C&Q. Restart and note the temp for the cpu.

4 Load windows and smartfan. Select the smartfan temp that matches the bios temp. Have smartfan display that temp in the tray.

11. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

OK I will do that... but is it normal for the BIOS to how my NB temp higher than CPU?

Also, aren't core temps far more relevant than the CPU (tcase) temperature?

For some reason my last core (core3) seems to running 7 C hotter than the rest. Also, to make things even more confusing, the core temps speedfan reports are exactly 5C higher than the core temps RealTemp 2.7 reports.

ahhhhhhh!

12. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

How can I really find out which temperature is MB, NB, SB, and CPU.

PC Probe II (asus) is showing CPU as 20 C, which cannot be right because my room temperature is 75 (F). It shows MB as 40C, NB as 47C, and SB as 43C.

Are there certain things I can do that will make only one of these go up significantly so I can figure out which one is really which.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure run prime95 or other cpu stress app. Whatever temp goes much higher is your cpu temp.

Next you need to realize that the temp sensors on the mb are very cheap items and one board is going to report a different temp than another board [same cpu, hsf]

Really accurate temp sensors are going to make a rather significant increase in the cost of the mb.

When using asus probe, always download the latest version not the one that came on your support CD.

As far as having the NB higher, do you have a fan on the northbridge or is it passive cooled?

14. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

NB is passive cooled.
    Asus probe was downloaded (latest version).

I was reading on the asus forums for the rampage formula motherboard (the one I have), and people seem to report similar findings- but it seems so weird to be that a MB temperature would be higher than CPU - just make no sense to me - but people keep posting it confidently like it is correct.

As far as the sensors, how the heck do u replace those kind of sensors with nicer ones? And also aren't the cpu sensors (the core sensors and the tcase sensor) in the CPU itself, having nothing to do with the motherboard?

An idea Im considering is taking off the NB and SB heatsinks, maybe doing a little sanding, cleaning, and applying AS5, and using screws instead of push pins to put back on.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot replace the board sensors.

If you really really want to make work for yourself, then you can pull the heatsinks on the NB, etc.

I would not worry too much about strange temp readings. Is the system stable and running OK? That is the main thing.

Next this [among] others is why I no longer recommend asus boards. They used to be very good however in the last few years, their quality has gone downhill.

If it really worries you, RMA the board and go with on from either gigabyte or foxconn. Both make decent boards.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice