What Are The Correct System & Display Setting?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sassyer

Good Morning. I need to find out what the correct setting is for my HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC with Windows 10 and Acer K2 19.5in Monitor.

Right now, I can shut the laptop and use the monitor without the system shutting down. However, when I shut down my laptop and then restart, the operating system is not found.

If I disconnect the monitor, keyboard external DVD burner, USB stick, and mouse the laptop starts up fine.

I have the display set in the Display Controls to:
Multiple Displays - Duplicate these displays
Power Setting - see image

I also want to be able to shut the laptop and use the monitor without it shutting down. When I shut it down, I want it to find the operating system on startup.

Attachments

Does it start up correctly with DVD drive empty and USB disconnected? Leave monitor/mouse/keyboard connected. If so, this would be indicative of a boot order issue. Would need to take a look at that in BIOS/UEFI.

Does it start correctly if you restart from within win 10 (click restart not shutdown in power menu)? If so, could be indicative of a Fast Startup issue. Try disabling it in the screenshot you provided (Click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' to do so)

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
We would want to check the Boot Options and see if the USB option is higher than the hard drive..

Sassyer

We would want to check the Boot Options and see if the USB option is higher than the hard drive..
Thank you for your reply and help!

Yes. It starts up correctly with nothing in the USB port. How do I change the order in BIOS?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
For your computer, when you start your computer (or restart it) and the HP logo shows, press F10 repeatedly until you are in the bios information screen. Check there for the boot options / boot priority. If the HDD is lower than USB, make the HDD (or Windows Boot Manager) top of the list.

Sassyer

For your computer, when you start your computer (or restart it) and the HP logo shows, press F10 repeatedly until you are in the bios information screen. Check there for the boot options / boot priority. If the HDD is lower than USB, make the HDD (or Windows Boot Manager) top of the list.
I do not have the option you mentioned. Te ones I have are in the attached photos.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online