1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what are the extensions Office 2000 uses

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by axis77, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

When you guys go out to the Microsoft Update site and your getting updates for Office, do you guys know what extensions are being used or scripts are being used to figure out what type of Office installation you have, and then what to download for your specific pc...

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it detects the version and presents you with options to download
    what do you get

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

4. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

So from my understanding if anyone asks for a keycode that automatically means you have pirated software?? We'll just to inform you, what Im dealing with is an inherited pc that has Office 2000 Professional and I do not have the cd or the keycode, so what are my options from here? I attempted to use belarc advisor but the keycode it pulls up is just numbers not like a traditional keycode that you would see with microsoft. So what is your guys response to this? :mad:

5. ~Candy~

An inherited PC that 'just happens' to have Office 2000 Pro on it, without you having the license for it, is the SAME as pirated software. You don't legally have the right to use it.

6. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

so what are my options if I have lost the cd casing that had the keycode, you mean to tell me that this has never happened to anyone out there?
    And when I mean "inherited" I mean I came into a business and no one has a clue where the keycode is at? so whats the soltution here?

7. ~Candy~

Call Microsoft. If it is a legally registered copy they should provide you with a key.

8. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

ok, what info will they need from the pc? also what about with Office '97 when I try to uninstall it it also asks for the Office 97 disk...(which I dont have either) how would work around that?

9. ~Candy~

I'm not sure what info they will need. I keep my product codes in one file folder, so I've never had to call them ;)

It's a toll free call, try it and let us know ;)

I'd work around the 97 office uninstall with a format c: and a clean install of everything ;)

Replacement of CD or Product Keys
    To replace a CD or Product Key, you must contact PSS. To locate the appropriate phone number for your product, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

10. axis77

axis77 Thread Starter

gotcha..thanks

11. jbcalg

jbcalg

LOL
    far too organized for me C
    i root around through far too many cd's until i find the one i need
    (and find untold other treasures in my search that i didn't even j=know i was missing :))

12. ~Candy~

You should see my 'other people's pcs' folders :eek:

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it is 4 years old and not the latest and greatest from uncle bill.

since when he/she doesn't have the right to use it.

is it different if you buy a used computer from a shop, where they've possibly put a hd in it and installed an os, sell you a copy, that you really can't use it, i don't think so.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice