1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are the symptoms of a failing/dead hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zildjian285, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zildjian285

Zildjian285 Thread Starter

Hi all.

I believe the hard drive in my parents PC has just died.

Basically in the last few days the PC has been freezing, initally just in Windows XP, but then it got worse and started sometimes freezing before it could even boot into Windows.
    It froze several times on the BIOS screen, and now when I turn the PC on nothing displays on the screen and none of the lights on the keyboard, etc. are working.

Are these the symptoms of a dead hard drive?
    If the hard drive was dead, should I still be able to see the screen and enter the BIOS?

At the moment nothing is displaying on the screen at all.

2. bp936

bp936

how old is this PC?
    Can you hear the drive spinning when you start? Are there any sounds?
    Are there any beeps at starting up the computer?
    It could be many things, unless you don't hear anything, then it could be the hard drive. Hard to tell from afar.

3. Zildjian285

I built the PC a couple of years ago, but it has a new (6 month old) PSU.
    The CPU, RAM, HDD and graphics card are probably about 5 or 6 years old now.
    Here are the specs:
    Intel P4 Northwood 2.6Ghz CPU
    Asus P4P800SE motherboard
    512MB Kingston PC3200 RAM
    Corsair 460W PSU
    Maxtor 120GD IDE HDD
    nVidia FX5200 graphics card.

I can hear the drive starting but I don't hear any unusual sounds or warning beeps, etc.
    It sounds like it starts up as normal, PSU, HDD, fans, optical drives, etc. all start up.

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    The freezing at different times, often early in the boot process, are often indicative of a CPU overheating or going south. Be sure the CPU fan is OK and that the heatsink hasn't come loose. If you think the CPU cooling is satisfactory, I'd suspect the motherboard. It's more likely to go out than the CPU (unless it had been subjected to excess heat).

5. bp936

bp936

I always remember my sister's computer acting strange, she thought it was the drive, but I guessed, it was the graphics card, every time it showed less and less. At the end nothing showed but you could hear the usual start process.
    We hooked up the computer to another monitor and it still did the same.
    A new graphis card fixed problem.
    -just another thought!-

6. squall_01

squall_01

you have spyware cleaners an what not on there? Sometimes this could cause it an what not. Just a thought, if you could pull the drive out an attach it as a slave else where an scan it. The OS mite be loseing it stability, so I would try an attempt to repair it useing the xp disk first.

7. Zildjian285

Thanks for the replies.

The PC doesn't even show anything on the screen now.
    I don't think it's the hard drive anymore because it does it with the hard drive unplugged. I've tried reseating everything except the CPU to no avail.

I do have a spare CPU I could try, I might do that tomorrow. I also have some spare RAM but I can't find it.

I doubt it's the PSU because it's pretty much new and everything powers up OK.

Graphics card is a possibility, but would it really cause the PC to freeze up like it was before?

Motherboard is also definitely a possibility. I do have a spare one but I think it's faulty, I might try it after trying the spare CPU though.

Anything I should do to help diagnose this issue?

8. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If you've stripped out all of the unnecessary peripherals, use one stick of memory at a time, and it still doesn't work, it's pretty much a matter of trial and error replacements. Swap out components one at a time. Swap them back whether or not it fixes the problem to verify that was the problem.

9. squall_01

squall_01

I would try the video card, it could of got shorted. You said everything was reset are you includeing the pci cards?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919980

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice