1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are we Calling Economics These days..

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by Drabdr, Dec 15, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. buffoon

buffoon

Thank you.:)

2. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

If only. Economics is the study of how humans use scarce resources which have alternative uses.
    Two words changed, and the world of a difference made.

3. buffoon

buffoon

At the risk of becoming hair-splittingly tedious (or tediously hair-splitting?), wouldn't that rather fall into the field of sociology? Even when considering that there's hardly any other than human use for scarce resources in this context?

4. Ent

It is a social science is it not?

I've never encountered the quote Bastiat referred to, but this one seems to be by the same Lionel Robbins.
    "Economics is the science which studies human behavior as a relationship between given ends and scarce means which have alternative uses" Link Link, Emphasis mine.
    And if anyone can wrap their head around THAT...

5. buffoon

buffoon

tis indeed.:)
    it did sound a bit incomplete as to original wording
    Methinks that what the heads need to be wrapped around firstly is that stressing of behavior comprises a fallacy. No doubt behavior plays a significant role in historical example (exemplification) but economics does not concern itself with behaviorism (something that would lie more (belong) in the field of physics or biology).

"Economics" is fundamentally normative.

6. Ent

If indeed Economics were fundamentally normative, shouldn't positive economics be a contradiction?

I think it is foolish to try to seperate economics from behaviour, though I don't think it has anything much to do with behaviourism. Production, trading and consumption are behaviours. Etherial things like "economic growth" are individual people deciding to make a bit more.

7. buffoon

buffoon

I didn't advocate that "fundamentally" should mean "exclusively". Nevertheless "positive economics" functions as a descriptionary (analytical) instrument. It is a branch of economics (as the article states) not a different school.
    Again, I did not advocate separation. I advocate stressing of relevant parameters in their order of pertinence. Or,let me try to phrase that in a better way, that human behavior, integral to the issue, not be identified in a socio-politico-ideological manner so often seen on here. "CEOs are greedy which leads them to destroy jobs for greater profit, capitalism is bad, corporations are power hungry etc."

No doubt there are plenty of instances of all of these but they're better addressed at a Party rant rather than be used to pretend knowledge of economics. Because "human behavior" is otherwise conveniently misunderstood in its role in the overall picture.

Science (and I often flippantly claim that any economist worth his salt will deny economy that tag:D) invariably gets invaded by ideology. It's unavoidable I guess, but, until that invasion is repelled, the discipline ceases temporarily to be scientific.

8. Ent

Oh dear. I can't seem to find anything to disagree with. :D

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Scour through ekim68s posts
    Theres a plenty

:D

10. buffoon

buffoon

There's times for feeling and times for thinking. I get the impression that, unlike some others, you tend to see the difference.:)

Either that or Christmas has aged you to the point of mellowing. :D

11. Bastiat

Bastiat

Well if you like I can post something to stir things up a bit.
    ;)

12. buffoon

buffoon

No doubt about that. :D

13. Littlefield

Littlefield

I agree and we have more a service economy now as in churn :D and need to start producing more than we consume .

14. Littlefield

Littlefield

lol

15. ekim68

ekim68 Mike

You know, you're right....(y) I think I misinterpreted this thread, I'll move along now....:cool:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031395