1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What are you using for backups?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by stranglehold, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stranglehold

stranglehold Thread Starter

I have been using TaskZip, and am pretty pleased with it, but there are times when I wonder if there are better programs out there.

Preference is given to freeware or shareware.

It has to be able to run automatically.

Also, are there any nice batch file type programs that can automate some file moves and transfers? I can write a dos batch file, but that is a little outdated. :D Something windows based, perhaps?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i have a powertool which just copies files
    synctoy

works great onto portable harddrive

anything else I want i often backup manually onto 2 DVD

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I use Cobian Backup for my data backup, also free. I used to use TaskZip, but Cobian is much more powerful. For Image backups of my boot drive, I use Acronis True Image, available for $30 on a downloaded purchase from www.newegg.com

4. stranglehold

stranglehold Thread Starter

I am liking the looks of the Cobain Backup. Thanks

I have an older copy of Norton Ghost that I use from time to time. Are you familiar with it? How does the Acronis compare in your opinion?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

GHOST, and especially the older versions, has issues with some networks and USB drives. Acronis True Image will handle almost any combination of local, external, and network drives for backup and restore. As long as you have a separate disk that GHOST will access, it works fine for image backups, I used it for years.

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

etaf: How do you do this: "anything else I want i often backup manually onto 2 DVD." I recently found that my "C" drive" is too large for one DVD, maybe even two. Some instructions would be greatly appreciated by this novice. Perhaps you know of a reference.

Thanks, {redoak}

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont back up the system - just the data files
    I make sure I keep everything in my documents and dont let applications use thier directory for my data files

I use outlook with Gmail - so I keep a backup on gmail of my emails.
    I also copy the .pst file each week - thats the only file that I did not put into My Documents and left in the default outlook folder

Not a true backup methodology - but I have found it OK for things like digital Images, word documents, and email.

8. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Thanks for the reply. I do back up my entire system to a XHDD with "True Image," so I do have a backup. I was interested in trying same to DVD, but, as I said, the system files, plus programs, are to large for one.
    {redoak}

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice