1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What backup program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rdotex, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdotex

rdotex Thread Starter

I have some backups that have file types called "saveitkeep.", but I don't know which of several backup programs I've used over the last few years that made them! They are on several different external hdd's used only for backups. I can view them in WordPad, but the formatting is difficult to read through, sometimes.

Does anyone know what program would make these files with this type label?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. rdotex

rdotex Thread Starter

Well, I had seen the Google search results, but wasn't convinced, so I came here.

The files are on the external hdd used to backup and copy my Windows 7 computer. I ran the files thru a Spybot S&D scan and they came up "clean".

Then, I ran the files and the entire hdd thru scans by SuperAntiSpyware Professional, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro. They all showed no serious problems.

Finally, I ran the files and hdd thru a scan by Microsoft Security Essentials and it found two instances of "TrojanDropperMSIL/LivateB", which it supposedly cleaned successfully.

My computer is scanned regularly with MSE, so the trojans were on the external hdd.

These files are copied from a website that I manage.

I just now looked, though, and there are still some of the "saveitkeep." files on the drive!
    One of the files, for instance, is in cgi-bin and is Named: cgiemail of Type: saveitkeep. and no extension is given. This file has a lot 'gibberish' with some normal wording, such as "REQUEST_METHOD not set. GET QUERY_STRING 400 REQUEST_METHOD is GET, but QUERY_STRING is not set. CONTENT_LENGTH 503 Couldn't allocate %d bytes fo memory. SCRIPT_NAME cgiemail %s: read () returned 0." There are references to sendmail and various versions of Linux. The hosting is on a Linux server, just in case that gives an idea of where the file versions, etc come from. I believe they are normal for the Linux sendmail script?

Another small file is in file: Treasurer, Named: Treasurer Forms & Info of Type: saveitkeep. with no extension given. This file appears to be a text file exactly as I had created it, in html format.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so this is a false file extension/association and not the real file types. It's probably been assigned to files with no actual extension applied. You probably have been infected with that malware at some point and this is a left over remnant of it. You can post in the malware forums and see what one of the malware experts thinks.

FYI, most backup programs do not change the extension of single files, they either do straight copies or create large archives of numerous files.

5. rdotex

rdotex Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. Also, I should say that I don't normally examine the files that I copy or backup. That's probably not very smart! These files were copied a couple of years ago.

Thanks again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice