1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Backup software to get?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by HitAnyKey, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    I've decided the Windows XP Backup isn't going to work for me, since anything I try isn't working since I can't get it to write to CD-RW for some unknown reason and it also crashed on me when I tried to have it write across my network to another computer.

So, I've decided I'm going to get a 3rd party Full System Backup software. The question now, of course....which one?

I've read through some reviews (most of which were old, so I need updated reviews) and often I see either Drive Image or Ghost or Acronis True Image mentioned. Those seem to be the most popular.

First question is since Symantec bought PowerQuest, is there really a difference between Drive Image 7 (I think that's the latest) and Ghost 9.0? Or is Drive Image 7 an old version and Ghost 9.0 basically replaces it?
    If they are two different and separate (and current) programs...what is the difference between them and what are the pros and cons to help m decide which to buy?

I'm currently going to go under the assumption that Ghost is better than True Image, but if someone things True Image is better, let me know why. Or is it just better because it's cheaper?

I don't mind spending a few bucks if it's what would be the best one out there. Though if anyone has any suggestions of where to get your choice of product nice and cheap, that'd help too.

Things to note which will be a deciding factor for my circumstances:
    1. My computer does NOT have a Floppy Drive. So anything it would do, I would need to do utilizing solely CDs.
    2. As listed below in my computer specs, I have an NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD drive, so I'd like for the functionality of eventually backing up to DVD (to cut down on # of disks used) in the future possibility. Currently I'll be using CD-RW's.

I'm looking to find something and make the decision pretty quick, since I'm considering installing SP2 and want a FULL system backup available. Something that I can take a bootable CD, and basically restore my ENTIRE computer to the state it was in when I made the backup.

Anyway, tell me everything you all have thoughts, opinions, and facts about.

My ears are wide open for the moment... :)

2. deh

deh

You could take a look at/and try out the following "freeware". If this doesn't suit your needs I am sure someone else will post another suggestion.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

3. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    Does anyone know the difference between or have an opinion between Ghost 9.0 and Drive Image 7.0? Is Ghost the next step beyond DI? Or are they at the same version level and just do to totally different things?

4. smeegle

smeegle

According to google Drive Image 7.0 is being discontinued and Ghost 9.0 will take up where it left off. So I guess it would be the next step beyond DI.

5. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    I've been searching all over the web and back as much as I can, and so far I havn't been able to find any websites that offer Ghost 9.0 for less than the $70 it would cost to buy straight from Symantec. I found a couple that might be a few dollars less, but nothing else yet.
    I don't suppose anyone knows of any sellers that have it for sale for at least $10 or more less than what the Symantec site charges?

Also, would it be better to just fork out the dough to buy the newest edition of Systemworks Pro which would include Ghost within it?
    And actually, looks like Symantec has just come out with Systemworks 2005 Premier which they have on pre-order (to be shipped first week of October) for the same price as Systemworks 2004 Pro. Anyone have any input or information about these products and all that?

6. hewee

hewee

Your right in getting systemworks pro whrn it is on sell.
    If you want to wait then wait till the 2005 version comes out and the 2004 version I bet with sell and rebate wiil be around $30.00

7. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    So you think it might be best to not get the 2005 version and instead just wait and get the 2004 version after 2005 comes out? Seeing as how I won't be using the Firewall or Anitvirus part of Systemworks. I'd be using it for the Ghost, Optimizer and other system utilities.

8. hewee

hewee

I would even try to get 2003 if I could. Somethimes at CompUSA they have the software that is not in the box but only the jewel case and it cost a lot less.
    Now if your not going to use all of System works your have to find out just what all will be new in 2005 over 2004. You know the part that will be updated the most is the Anitvirus and your not going to use it.

Don't know about all these sites but look at them.

Norton SystemWorks 2004 Professional Edition

http://www.msbcd.com/Catalog_type.asp?ProductCode=30243

http://www.directdeals.com/Item_10109306.aspx

9. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    What software package do you, and all the rest of you high level experienced users use for doing full system backups of your computers?
    And I'm not just referring to copying files to CD. I'm referring to having a way to basically do a one-step (or easy-step) full restore of a system to a previous backup state.

10. hewee

hewee

I got Drive Image 7 and Ghost. Like to try NTI Backup NOW! as I use there NTI CD-Maker 2000 Plus software to burn CD's and it is so easy but they have others now that are better. http://www.ntius.com/default.asp

11. HitAnyKey

HitAnyKey Thread Starter

First Name:
    Eric
    *whimper* Now I'm even more confused :)

You just threw into the mix yet another backup software option. And here I was originally only thinking of comparing Drive Image 7, Ghost 9.0, and possibly Acronis True Image 8. Now I gotta think about a 4th one? You're killing me! :eek: :p

I think I'm willing to pay $40-60 for a good backup software package, but I want one that'll give the best results for the longest period of time. And also if I can find a place to get it nice and cheaply that'd be a plus, of course. ;)

But looking at all these different programs, they all seem to tout nearly the same features and all that. So I can't even figure out which one has the most bang for the buck.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice