1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What cables do i need to link my TV and Pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willy614, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willy614

willy614 Thread Starter

Sorry for such a basic question for my first post - its just something i have never got round to asking/looking for.

My laptop (and Pc as far as i know) both support this function, at least one way. Is there a cable(s) or adapter(s) i can get to link my Pc and Tv together to use the TV to display but also to record images from DVD/Tv (according to licensing rules) onto my computer.

The main reason i ask is i frequently prepare powerpoint presentantions with clips from Tv documentaries etc in (with their permission and credit) but have to go through my IT dept which takes ages - i would rather do it myself if possible?

Thank in advance.

2. erick295

erick295

Using a TV as a computer display and capturing video to your computer are two completely different processes. Most computers (especially laptops) have an S-Video output, which you can buy an S-Video cable for, and it will allow you to use any TV with an S-Video input as a second monitor (or if the TV doesn't support S-Video, you can buy one of many adapters to change it to another input, such as RCA or even a standard cable connection).

To capture video, you need a capture card or capture device and also capturing software. The following link will take you to a list of external USB devices that do this (you can buy these anywhere). You can also buy an internal card (either PCI or AGP) that would do the same thing. The process of capturing and editing video does have quite a large learning curve, so if you're not familiar with it, it may be awhile until you can really use this.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1428

3. willy614

willy614 Thread Starter

That's very helpful - thanks. Yes i assumed they would be seperate and i'm really not to fussed about displaying on my TV now i have a laptop.

If anyone can reccomend either a good expansion card or external device in the UK - whatever is cheapest/best (is there a difference in either area?) i would be grateful but the original question is thankfully now answered. First post answered in about 10 minutes - very impressed :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice