1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What can I do about a boot sector virus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisJ, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Thread Starter

What exactly is a boot sector virus, how do you get it and get rid of it, and what does it do? A friend said something about fluxing(sp?) the hard drive but neither of us really know much about that, has anyone else heard of fluxing a hard drive? Thanks to all who took a sec to read through this.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

I am not an expert on this; but, I will tell you what I know.

First, I haven't seen a new boot sector virus in about two years or more. If you've gotten one, my guess is you've gotten into something old.

A boot-sector virus is simply a virus that installs itself into the boot sector of the disk (floppy or hard) as opposed to any other folder on the disk. It can have any number of attributes and can be either malicious or just a prankster or joke program.

To know any more, you'll have to identify the particular virus.

3. n2gun

n2gun

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It depends on which O/S you run. For Win9X, it's as simple as FDISK /MBR from your boot floppy. You can do that on W2K/WXP as well, but then you have to boot the recovery console and fix the boot files for the O/S.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Some friends of mine were given some old company machines and a bunch of floppy disks....floppies were infected with the NYB boot sector virus, and they did not know how to use Norton AV that came on their new Gateway...you guessed, kid put a floppy into the brand new Gateway and totally locked it up,
    SYSTEM HALTED!
    as, they did not know how to quarantine the virus.
    the boot sectors will be "reinstalled" until you repair the MBR, (as johnwill has told you) .... even a format of the hard drive will NOT clear them up. The F-Prot for DOS antivirus program run from floppy disks does work with a lot of boot sector virii, and did with the NYB, I even used it to nuke the pest on the infected floppies. F-Prot is a free utility, loads onto 3 floppy disks one of which is a bootdisk that you use to start the computer and load the program.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice