1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what can I do with Omnipage?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bp936, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

It seems all my computers, laptops, always come with this huge program. I have never used it, what can I do with it? Do I need it for scanning?
    I have no idea or understanding when I open it up, what it would be good for?
    Can I uninstall it to save space on hard drive?

Anyone ever used it for home use or is it for business?
    Any ideas would be appreciated,

2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Do you have a scanner or an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner/fax? Omnipage is OCR (optical character recognition) software used for scanning. None of my computers have it.

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I use it all the time and it is well the money I spent on it, as I run the Professional version.
    If you have anything that has been typed, it can be scanned an then turned in to a word processor document or even a spread sheet. I also scan a lot of newspaper articles, stories and obituaries.

4. oksteve

oksteve

I used it a few years ago but took too much HDD space for my liking so I dumped it. I don't think its for normal domestic use more for what DaveA uses it for.

When I had it the OCR part was rubbish, but I would hope 5 years on its a lil better:)

5. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

thanks everyone.
    My Cannon scanner has its own program, my old scanners had also programs.
    I only tried OCR once and it didn't do what it claimed. I thought I could fill out a form but half the stuff was not legible.
    I assume for business, it would be ok. I am just surprised, because I had it on every computer from Acer, to Compaq, Dell and Toshiba. I never bought the program, it came installed. But with today's big programs and my little hard drive, I need space, so I will delete it/
    Should I need it, I have the install disks.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Form filling and OCR are two different worlds. One needs a GOOD form filling program just a a GOOD OOCR program is needed.
    Yes, it the past 5 years there has been a BIG improvement in them. An the "Free" version that comes with most scanners are a stripped down version.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    I've found that the OCR in M$ Office tools is just probably as good as Omnipage ...
    (I used to use ABBYY fine reader Pro) ... And better that the scanner supplied OCR routines.
    Do you have M$ Office ??? ... See Office Tools >> Document Scanning

8. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

I have an old version of Office, can't afford a new one ever again.
    I basically use my scanner to copy old photos and some correspondence, so I guess Canon did a good job until now.

9. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I've basically used OCR programs for getting the text from old family documents and newspaper articles (genealogy hobby) ..
    to reconstruct the documents into a better computer form .. Word.doc files .. (many with pictures)

If you have Omnipage .. It should work for this purpose

The worse the picture .. The more editing/correcting text work that must be done.
    Many times .. some Pre-editing of the picture in Photoshop helps tremendously.

There was even a topic here at TSG some time ago where a whole book was reconstructed into a doc.file from scans...
    then converted to a pdf.

This can get "labor intensive" and might require some fancy software.
    Anything I can help with ???

Your Dialup connection will be a problem.

10. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

I never thought of that, Noyb, yes I do have old newspaper articles with my kids or husband's picture in it and Canon did a terrible job. I'll try OCR before deleting. You know, kid's hockey games reports etc.
    I know you are an expert with that kind of a stuff. And yes, I remember someone asking about a book to scan. I never read all the posts, should see if it ever was done.

And yes, you can help me with something, off the topic here, but you did my flag, that moved in FF, but I had to update to the new version of FF but it became too slow, so now I am using K-Meleon and the flag does not move.
    What is the flag? I wonder if I can have a setting in this browser to make it move,I have to check, is it Flash, gif, java? thanks

11. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Not an Expert ... But I've toyed with many (weird) projects.
    Yes .. The Book was finished .. And is now available online as a pdf.
    Glad I wasn't the one doing all the OCR correcting editing :D
    The pictures and text (OCR) were scanned separately .. Then reassembled in Word ..
    Then converted to pdf.

Not sure about K- Meleon .. But your Flag Avatar is a gif file .. (animated)

12. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

I agree, I wouldn't want to have to corect OCR - a book length? what a job.

and for an animated gif, I am presently finding out, if there is a setting for KM.

13. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    This One ???

To say that I was amazed would be an understatement.
    Sandy reminded me of a Pit Bull .. Once she latched on to the procedures .. There was no stopping her

14. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

282 posts, what a job, yes, that's the one I remember reading some of it.
    I was surprized how long you kept helping her.
    What is your latest (weird) project?

15. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    What you didn't see was the number of Emails .. Because the files were too large to attach here.
    Also .. Many files were bigger than allowed by Email .. So I gave her the login to one of my personal pages ..
    where she could upload anything smaller that 1GB.

Just trying to figure out where M$ hid all the tools in Office 2010 .. (again)
    And finally got Photoshop CS3 working good.

I see you donated to support TSG ??? ... You can use a bigger Avatar now.
    Want this one ???

bp-65.gif

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice