1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What can I shut down to Defrag?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by metalsign, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metalsign

metalsign Thread Starter

I am currently using WinXP pro and I was wondering what I can shut down in task manager to run defrag so it doesn't take forever and restart constantly. In Win 98, I used to shut down all but systray.exe and a couple others, but XP has like 15 normally running programs. I haven't defragged my drive yet and it's been a while. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    XP doesn't have the same restarting problems as W98 while running defrag. Just run the defrag and you should be fine. In fact, I even use the PC while I'm running a defrag ....

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

You might try defraging in the safe mode . . seems to work when it has trouble in the normal mode.

wrs

4. metalsign

metalsign Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try.

5. Katzy

Katzy

Or you can try "Defrag Pro" http://www.oo-software.com

Works on-the-fly, with no noticable slow down. I only have a 700mz CPU, too!

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There can be many apps that will be writing and changing the hard drive just like with Win98. Given the symptoms, theory and reality may diverge a little. XP should be able to Defrag without stopping but it doesn't always work that way. Simpswr's suggestion of starting in safe mode is an easy solution that should solve the problem.

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I could be wrong but from what I take from the post, he's never even run a defrag in XP or if so, has not had a restarting problem except with the prior OS W98. Is that true?

Anyway, I've never had any problems running XP defrag at home or at work on many PC's and I run it from Normal mode without shutting down a thing. But the other's advice of SafeMode is much better than trying to shutdown all of your applications if you feel better defragging without anything running.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!