1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What can she do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paperladee, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paperladee

paperladee Thread Starter

My daughter has an old AOC Spectrum Series computer. Can we buy a tower that will connect to the monitor that will get her up to par of today? Hate to get rooked like I did when I bought that old thing for her.

2. MCP

MCP

As long as the monitor you're wanting to use has a 15-pin connector (and is in working order), it shouldn't be a problem.

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

You mean a new "tower" computer system?

Todays PCs are a whole lot cheaper than back then... same for monitors. Todays 17" monitors are $100~150.

While your monitor MAY work with her "new" computer, it maybe limited to 800x600 which is quite horrible for WindowsXP. We don't know what monitor you have.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, you can get a decent 17" monitor for $60-70 almost any time on the multitude of rebate deals that are usually running. :)

5. Krall

Krall

Also, sometimes www.dell.com will give you a free monitor or cd drive when you buy a computer from them online.

6. rmay635703

rmay635703

The answer is yes it is a VGA/SVGA monitor and yes it should work. Just make sure you don't have the res set to high at the start (start at 640x480 and move up) and see how far it goes.

Cheers

7. paperladee

Thank you all!! I will check the connector to make sure and if I find a "tower" computer at a reasonable price than I can just check the resolution right off the bat. "Old" computers in this area are not cheap. I paid $200 for that one and was "cheated" I think because I didn't know any better and didn't check it out better before I bought it. She has had some fun with it. So I guess that's a good thing. I just didn't realize it was so outdated. Thank you all for your help, and any more suggestions.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Depends when you bought it...

I sold my PIII system for about $250 or so last year. with 512mb.

The GeForce2 Ultra was a $400 video card about 2+ years ago.

Nowadays, a typical $80 video card is quite a bit faster with more abilities.

heheh... Todays GeForce 5 -5900Ultra users ($400~500 video cards) and recently found out that another brands' $175 is faster.

9. paperladee

I bought this dinosaur this past Christmas. Expensive lesson, huh?

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

Maybe... AOC computer.... depends... But move on... ;)

Hey... you didn't blow $1000 on it...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice