1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What can the modern PC do?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sarainelkins, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarainelkins

sarainelkins Thread Starter

We hope to buy a new desktop computer soon with the hope that it will be able to be used for up to five years from now. I see lots of things advertised about PCs, but nobody tells me what these things actually DO. What should we buy to go into the new computer? I don't want brand recommendations here. I want to know what these new PCs can do and what to include in a list that we give someone to build a new system for us that we can use for the next few years. I'm esepcially interested in internet television/radio capabilities. So, WHAT does the computer of today do?
    Thanks. SARA
    replies okay to me here also: [email protected]
    P.S. I didn't know what forum to post this in. Please move it if I sent it to the wrong place.

2. chrismo

chrismo

the modern PC can do just about whatever the software requirements on your programs are.
    If you want a PC that will work for the next 5 years. Invest into QUAD Core or DUAL Quad core. will cost you a few grand but it will last. I think that core 2 duo will not last long since quad core are starting to emerge cheaper. Look into Intels Tigerton processors(dont know if their out). Mostly the high end systems are used on servers, nice server usually pack 32 gb of RAM, nice tigerton or DUAL Harpertown processors, awesome terabytes of disk space. if you dont want to spend much, then go into quad cores. high end server specs for a home PC will surpass the processors on the electronic stores market. But those are high cost too, and usually custom built, you will have to find all the parts somewhere.

3. Hughv

Hughv

A very good question. One problem is that this technology is evolving do quickly that I doubt anyone can predict 5 years into the future. TV is rapidly becoming all digital, and there's an incredible amount of programming for Radio and TV already available on the internet.
    Any modern PC with 2+ GB of RAM, a fast broadband connection, large hard drive(s) and a decent video card can handle what's available for entertainment nowadays.
    The sticking point seems to be getting your files from the PC to the TV, as most of us won't want to stare at a computer screen for long periods of time.
    I'm a TIVO guy, and that pretty much solves my needs for now(I watch what I want, when I want to watch it). So, somewhere in your mix you'll need to consider a DVR, whether it's integrated into your PC or something supplied by your TV provider.
    Radio/Music seems much simpler. There are thousands of stations supplying any kind of music you can imagine (And some you may not be able to imagine). Getting this signal to a decent set of speakers is trivial.
    There is much more to know, of course, but here are some multi-media PC reviews that may help:
    http://multimedia-pc-review.toptenreviews.com/
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/
    http://compreviews.about.com/od/general/a/MediaTheaterPC.htm

4. sup2a

sup2a

very very good point for all we know we could have anything, it might not even be worth buying a PC now...HOWEVER because things are SOOOO computer based now you really do need a good computer theoretically you could never leave the house again... :p but yes the modern day pc can do loads of things as long as you get a decent one that'll last you a few years unlike this one which has lasted me..... 1 1/2 years (took the budget option) and im looking for a new one but yes as many pple say "why buy a computer now, it will be half the price in 6 months"...if you think of it that way YOU WILL NEVER HAVE A COMPUTER!!!!!! if your worried about that go all the way to the top and get your supercomputer that'll last you years!!! my last computer cost around 2-3000$!!! bout it in 2000 i think and it still can do few of the (limited) things i want it too!!!

you really need to do your research to get a good deal and to know what to get (or you'll end up like me :p regretting this little machine)

say:
    quad processor
    large amount of RAM if you want it to last say 4gb?
    very nice card such as the 8800 (i know itsa brand but you really have to compare to get a good deal)
    and a lot of protection! the internet is a nasty place and you will get infections that could leave the system crippled even if they are removed b4 causing critical damage

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

Sara:
    If you want your thread moved, click on the red / white triangle & make the request.

Please consider editing your initial post and remove your email address, or you will likely be receiving a lot of unwanted email messages, aka spam.

DVR = digital video recorder

Your computer can perform all of the things a TiVo can do, and more. You need a graphics / video card, such as the 8800 mentioned above that will display video games in 3D. 8800 is not a brand. nVidia makes the chipset, of which 8800 is 1 such chipset. XFX Graphics is a brand.

A competitor to nVidia is ATI, now owned by AMD.

To record television programs from your cable TV provider, you will need a TV tuner card; 1 manufacturer is Hauppauge.

Because you have mentioned having a computer built for you, which I think is a GOOD idea, consider having Windows and your programs installed on an 80 GB hard disk drive and removable HDDs for files you want to save [ songs you legally download, or transfer [ rip ] from CDs; TV programs you record. I suggest KingWin brand drive racks and trays.

You could have separate HDDs for your still image photos; TV programs; moving images [ home movies ]; songs; email and other personal files .

Currently, DVD drives come in single layer and dual layer. On the rise are Blu Ray Drives. Generally, these will play and record / burn CDs as well.
    CDs hold 0.7 GB [ 700 MB ]
    Single layer disks DVDs hold 4.2 GB
    Dual layer DVD disks hold 8.4 GB
    Blu Ray DVD disks hold 50 GB

Computer security tips can be found here.
    http://forums.techguy.org/78-general-security/

For the future of computing, I suggest that you read magazines such as PC Magazine, PC World, Smart Computing and Wired magazine. Also, subscribe, or regularly read ZDNet, CNet & Microsoft web sites., as well as columnists such as Walt Mossberg http://walt.allthingsd.com/ .

Happy computing.

RF123

6. Hughv

Hughv

"Your computer can perform all of the things a TiVo can do,"

Spoken like a man who doesn't have a TIVO.
    TIVO has a feature set that's miles beyond anything any other DVR can do:)

7. net_newsy

net_newsy

from PC to personal WEBSERVER
    --o0o--

With the power of today's PC architecture, you can run a full featured webserver even from your own DSL/CABLE internet connection.

..:: just an idea from here :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/683587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice