1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What card can I get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cammy22, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cammy22

cammy22 Thread Starter

Hi

I have a HP d530 cmt. I cant play my new Sims 3 game or Farming simulator 2011 as error message saying graphics card must support Shader Model 2.0 or greater.

Could someone please tell me with my power output, what cards could I upgrade to?

Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Compaq d530 Convertible Minitower desktop.

According to the service reference card, there's an AGP slot for installing an AGP 8x video card.

The service reference guide shows how to remove and replace a power supply, but it doesn't advise the wattage currently installed or what wattage you can upgrade to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties. How much RAM is listed?

Right-click an empty space on the desktop, then click Properties - Settings - Advanced - Adapter. What information is listed there?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the specs at this site, the convertible minitower model has a 240-watt power supply.

From my experience with upgrading video in older desktops with a low wattage power supply, you can probably install an AGP 8x video card with 256 MB of dedicated memory without a problem, as long as you install a model that has a heatsink and not a cooling fan.

The www.newegg.com site has several that you can choose from.

---------------------------------------------------------------

That desktop supports up to 4 GB of RAM and uses DDR PC2100 or DDR PC2700 or DDR PC3200 modules.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice