1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what cauing pc 2 restart

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by harplady, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. harplady

harplady Thread Starter

after gettn pc cleaned out and upgraded with windowx xp home edition there a game i love to play and now im not able 2 play it whenever i log in game the pc automatically restarts after i play for a short while never done this b4, so im wondering what could be the problem and can it be fixed and where can i find to see what type of video card or adapter i have on this pc

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the game, and do you have any problems outside of playing that particular game?

Go to start > run and enter sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery and take the check out of "automatically restart" if it is there. That should get you a STOP message to read. Pay attention to the error parameters and any driver file listed.

To determine your Display adapter, run dxdiag and copy the Device name and driver version from the Display tab. You may need to update that.

Also:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last 2 or 3 minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

3. harplady

harplady Thread Starter

--------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: SiS 530/620
    Manufacturer: SiS
    Chip type: SiS 530
    DAC type: SiS
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_6306&SUBSYS_63061039&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 4.0 MB
    Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Default Monitor
    Monitor Max Res:
    Driver Name: SiS6306v.dll
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.1080 (English)
    DDI Version: 7
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 8/17/2001 09:56:04, 150144 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: SiS6306p.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 8/17/2001 07:50:56, 68608 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71ED9-2046-11CF-B177-074301C2C835}
    Vendor ID: 0x1039
    Device ID: 0x6306
    SubSys ID: 0x63061039
    Revision ID: 0x00A2
    Revision ID: 0x00A2
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't see anything out of order there, but I suspect the SiS display driver is old and and there are no driver updates for it.

Were you able to play this game on this computer previously, with a different operating system?

Runescape is a Java based game. Do you have the latest version of Sun Java? I recommend choosing the OFFLINE manual download option. Download the setup file to a permanent location on the hard drive and run the install offline.

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

How much ram is installed?

Can you find any minidump files in c:\windows\minidump?

5. harplady

harplady Thread Starter

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 8/9/2006, 00:21:14
    Machine name: USER-630FC5F12D
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: NEC
    System Model: n/a
    BIOS: FR520 BIOS Version V00.01.27 09-06-99
    Processor: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~490MHz
    Memory: 188MB RAM
    Page File: 192MB used, 258MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

is this the info u need, after i got pc back from the shop i never had any problems plays runescape til last week to which it always restarts the pc automatically

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, you need to follow up on the two things I mentioned previously.

1 > are there any "minidump" files in c:\windows\minidump? If so, zip them up and upload them here.

2 > Runescape uses Java and you may not have the best version for it. If you have Sun Java in Add/Remove programs -- uninstall it and install the latest version from the link I gave above. You should have Version 5.0 Update 6

7. harplady

harplady Thread Starter

here the attachment, I hope i did it rite for u to look at file

Attached Files:

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There are two different kinds of STOP errors in the set, both can be caused by hardware issues

The two things I would want to look further at at this stage is the possiblity of overheating or faulty ram.

Let's try this for starters -- since the problem occurs after the game has been running for a while, let's measure the heat rise during the game.

You can use SpeedFan to do this:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Have it running at the beginning of the game. There is a "charting" tab in the configuration options -- enable it for the CPU and the HD and then check it after about 10 minutes, but before you expect a crash.

What are the lowest and highest temperatures for each?

Also run eventvwr.msc and look at the System log. Do you see any "Disk" or "Atapi" errors?

Troubleshooting ram is a bit more involved. You need to create special utilities to boot either from a floppy disk or a CD-ROM.

There is some guidance in the article below, let me know if you need more:

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

I would recommend Memtest86 -- for the CD based utility you need this:

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.iso.zip

for Floppy disk, this:

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.55.1/memtest86+-1.55.1.floppy.zip

The ISO (CD) version requires you to have burning software such as Roxio or Nero to "open" and burn the .iso file.

The floppy disk version only requires a floppy drive and blank floppy disk.

Either device must be first in the BIOS boot order; if it just boots to Windows, you will have to enter the BIOS setup and change the boot order.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice