What caused my BSoD's back in October?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

Although the problem began occurring on Oct. 1st, 2005 and has since been resolved ...

I'm curious to hear your opinions as to why I experienced random but then more frequent BSoD's with various messages during the month of October. Let me give you guys (and girls :cool: ) a timeline of my computer history:

Case #1

• January 7th, 2004: Purchased my Dell Dimension XPS and it worked flawlessly until August
  • Early August 2004: While playing SimCity 4, my game crashed and then BSoD'd with a 0x51 REGISTRY_ERROR. I took it in for service and the guy managed to slave my HD and backup my data before wiping the HD and reinstalling Windows XP. I'm betting that some kind of virus or malware (since I wasn't protected and I didn't have SP2 or any firewalls installed) royally messed up the registry.
  • The computer worked fine from Aug. 2004 to October 2005 (no problems whatsoever).

Case #2 (Need Opinions)

• Sept. 30th, 2005: Installed The Sims 2 Nightlife after already owning and enjoying TS2 and TS2: University. The game ran fine that evening and the next day.
  • Oct. 1st, 2005: The game worked fine in the morning, but when I worked on a Word document and accessed the Internet, I got a random 0x00000050 (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) blue screen of death. Luckily it wasn't 'fatal' like the registry error and I was able to reboot my computer and continue on.
  • The Sims 2 Nightlife was still working perfectly and everything and the last time I played it was on Oct. 8th (busy with other things).
  • Then all of a sudden on Saturday, Oct. 22nd I got another BSoD while turning on the Internet. This one was a 0x0000008E error. I had another one later that day, and a 0x0000007F one again later on that day.
  • From Oct. 22nd to Oct. 29th I experienced a random mishmash of 0x08E, 0x07F, and 0x050 stop errors. They happened daily and usually 2 or 3 times a day. If I recall correctly, they all happened when I tried to turn on the Internet (although the Internet worked fine 90% of the time).
  • I was pretty convinced that it may be bad RAM, so I was preparring for the possibility of having to replace it.
  • Just then, I came across an article on the Microsoft website. It said that "random 0x08E stop errors were fixed in Service Pack 2", something that I didn't have.
  • So I said "what the hell, download SP2 and give it a shot".
  • Since then I never had another BSoD.

It's pretty evident to me that SP2 fixed the problem, whatever it was. Maybe the Windows Firewall/ Security Center feature did the trick- since it was always happening on the internet.

I know that SP2 resolved it, but is it possible that those were the beginning signs of my video card going dead? My video card eventually died and I had it replaced a couple weeks ago. Maybe SP2 masked the problem and the video card was causing it.

What could have caused these problems? I think it was just a coincidence that they started happening after I installed TS2 Nightlife. Was it just a bug in Windows that the service pack fixed?

Here's a link to a Microsoft article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827663

How can I be BSoD free this year? Those solid blue screens scare me to death.

I would like to hear your opinions as to why these BSoD's occurred in the first place- just out of the blue all of a sudden. Buggy XP operating system that SP2 fixed???

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's difficult to always determine the cause of BSOD's when you have a failing computer, but close to impossible if it's not failing! I'd stop working on that ulcer and just use the system. :rolleyes: Why are you looking for trouble? :confused:

8dalejr.fan

LOL :eek: what a reply! You crack me up... :D

Just curious, that's all. I'll go back to working on my Physics lab report now (I hate Physics :eek: , but I love NASCAR. Go figure).

8dalejr.fan

For now, at least. :D

But I do have a funny story. When I did install SP2 back in October, I guess it (or another download) had Windows Media Player 9 with it. I haven't installed Windows Media Player 9 yet though.

So when I went on www.fox.com last night and tried to view a clip (that I suppose was based on WMP), the images in the movie were all these psychadelic colours. Looked like you were watching the video through thermal vision goggles. I guess I should be installing that media player then. LOL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online