1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what certification should i get next?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jeff00z28, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeff00z28

jeff00z28 Thread Starter

I got A+ and Network +, I was thinking about gettin MCSA next since A+ and Network+ count as an elective for it, but I hardly ever hear of anyone getting an MCSA. I was plannin to get MCSA then MCSE since some of their credits are the same. Lemme know.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it depends what you're trying to do, gather certificates or be able to work in the real world.

i told my kids, figure out what you want to do, then find what education is needed to get you there.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

If your going for your MCSE anyway then MSCA route is okay to do since as you mention they do alot of overlap.

I have to say though BearOne hits it home... Know where you want to go and then get the certs. I have a co-worker who paid to get a bunch of certs - I think he did about 6 classes and took about 5 tests in all (not sure total cost) and he is now in the hospitality field.

I on the other hand have 10 or 11 years in the field no certs and don't plan on changing fields anytime soon.

Also note that alot of people will list MCSE but not MCSA though there are a fair number of MCSA's out there because you normally display the most prominent certs you have (not necessarily all of them)

4. jeff00z28

jeff00z28 Thread Starter

I'm going to be a network engineer. One more thing, who keeps track of Microsoft certifications so they know what parts you have complete and such. For example, with my A+ and Network+ pearson vue keeps track of everything and sends me my certys. I was wondering how you make it clear that I would have an elective for mcsa, and when I pass the other 3 tests, do i get certifications in the mail and such? Thanks.

5. jeff00z28

jeff00z28 Thread Starter

O ya and i am getting some cisco certifications but im doing that last after i graduate college because I am going to a cisco academy, so dont consider cisco

6. O111111O

O111111O

For what it's worth. I interview quite a few people, I don't put much stock in certifications. They may help you get in the door - but I have seen too many paper certified people that I would in no way, shape, or form let them touch a production piece of equipment.

Microsoft certifications have become severely devalued, about the only merit I ever see is that it gives our sales team a few points discount from Microsoft when we have "N" number of MCSE track people on staff.

Cisco for a large part has become the same way. Even the CCIE. A great track as it involves a lab put together by some serious masochists - but the CCIE R&S number is approaching >20k now. CCIE's aren't offered $150k to step in a door anymore.

I do agree with bearone2 - figure out what you want to do.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!