1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What changes would you make?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by grandpaw7, Aug 1, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

What if you were in charge? What changes would you make?

I’m not talking front page stuff, that’s best left to the Civilized Debate forum. I’m talking the little things in life, the pet peeves.

For me, it's about signs.

Say it’s Sunday morning about seven o’clock. You’ve gone to Walgreens to get some Anbosol for your sore tooth. Of course, Walgreen’s isn’t open at that hour so you need to go to WalMart instead. That means you have to make a left turn out on the boulevard that the store fronts on. But, wait, the sign says “No Left Turn”. So you have to make a right turn onto this boulevard that has exits only about every five or ten miles. But what harm could it do for you to go ahead and make a left hand turn anyhow? There's absolutely no other traffic around. In fact, the only other car in sight is one parked in the Walgreen's parking lot. The problem is, though, that is it a police car. So you turn right rather than left. But fast forward to the future: Now, the sign reads “No Left Turn If There Is Other Traffic Present”. I figure this change will save the nation somewhere around ten million dollars a year in gasoline, give or take ten million dollars.

And those traffic signals. What about us with the eyes that are going into semi-retirement, or who, when they get mad, can't tell of they are seeing red or green? Fast foward to the future: no more red, yellow and green. Now, it’s red, yellow and blue. And during wartime it’s red, white and blue. And look at the size and brightness of those traffic signals! A blind man can now see them.

But it’s not just the outside signs. It’s true that Walmart and Target try to do a little to let you know where the different departments are. But not so with Foley’s, Penny’s, Dillard’s, etc. Of course, you could ask one of the sales peope, but they are about as scarce as support techs who live in the U.S. Fast forward to the future: There are so many signs now telling where the different departments are that there is little room for the merchandise. Not only that, but there’s a pretty girl at each door to give verbal directions to those of us who need a compass to find our way to the restrooms. And for us old doddering guys, the pretty girl takes us by the hand and leads us to where we want to go. I’m finding myself going shopping there much more often, whether or not I need anything.

2. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

I would get rid of speed limits (Let me explain)

Most people would still go the speed limits previously removed but those in a hurry or hate watching for cops would go speed they would feel safe at
    Take for example the Autobahn. It has fewer accidents than the US and there is no speed limits there

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

By changes, I would assume anything and everything, grandpaw?:confused:

4. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Hmmm, well, I think so, but now you've got me worried. The question sounds a littel ominous.

5. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

When I'm in charge of the world, free will mean free. So if the merchant advertises that if you buy the first one the second will be free, you will be able to get the second one free without having to buy the first one.

And if the help line says someone will be with you in five minutes, they'll have to pay you for the time you wait over the five minutes.

And instead of advertising that you can save as much as whatever the maximum is, a savings few if any realize, they'll have to say that you might save as little as whatever the minimum is, which is the savings most people can expect to realize.

And when merchants advertise the price of an item, it'll have to be what you have to pay and not something less than that that the merchant wants to allocate to price, so that it will have to include taxes, shipping and handling and any other costs you need to include in your check. So when you do your budgeting, you can safely use the advertised price as a guide. (Thus, the car dealer won't be able to add the stupid handling charge to the bill when you get in the little room to make out your check, although my experience is that if you close your checkbook and prepare to leave when the handling charge is brought up it quickly dies a natural death; the idea apparently is that there is one born every day they simply want to find out if you are one of them.)

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

By no means is it ominous.

Changes I would make.

1.) For everybody to wake up tomorrow and find no reason to fight one another. To understand one another and to accept one another for who we are. *ahem* For others to accept how we conduct ourselves and express ourselves without criticisms. No domestic fights, no neighborhood squabbles, NO WARS!!! Let there be nothing but peace and love!!!

2.) For everyone to understand the full and real meaning of courtesy & respect. Yes sir, no ma'am, thank you & please is an excellent way to start. I.E. So when I leave a check out line the cashier should say "thank you"....right? It's something that works and is tried and true. It also keeps that cashier working if I decide to go back and shop there again.

7. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Thanks, Doc. Great post. So well expressed. Your comment about peace at the checkout line reminded me of quotes by Mother Teresa about the importance of smiles. I can recall times when a simple smile lifted me out of myself, out of a hole I had dug for myself. And smiles are so easy to repay.

We need to "hear" what you said over and over and over again. And we need to know that the road to peace begins at home, you might say at the checkout line. We don't have much standing, I think, to ask our leaders for peace if we can't ourselves achieve it within our own world.

So what would I like to change? I'd like to change my own frowns into smiles. Doing so will likely change the frowns of others into smiles because smiles are contagious. And I think maybe there can be no peace without smiles, either in the whole world or just our little part of it.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Thanks grandpaw!!! *

9. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

Good morning Doc. In my opinion, it does not serve the best interests of the Random Discussion forum to use it as a place to critique the Civlized Debate forum. I think that such a critique should be left to the CD forum itself or perhaps the Comments and Suggestions forum. When I opened this thread, I had in mind for it to be on the light-hearted and noncontroversial side. While your post and mine about peace and smiling are hardly light-hearted, they are noncontroversial and so to me are apppropriate to the thread.

10. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

In my world, no commericial could run more than one or two weeks. And if enough people complain on the "I hate that commericial" report website,it would have to go immediately. One exception: really funny commericials could run longer.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Good morning Grangpaw....my apologies then!

12. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Peace, love and happiness is what many want in this world and that will never be achieved as long as there are complainers around.......... so..... I would make it so there were no complainers ever again. Just happy, contented people that's all I want. Oh, and a free VW Micro Bus for everyone.....with paisley flowers painted all over them. They would all have to be painted the same so nobody would have the chance to complain about one looking better than the other. That's all I want.

13. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

I'm now looking at a receipt I got from Payless Shoes for some shoes I bought my granddaughter. The receipt says that I bought "CHP GLITZ TAN/B", which doesn't mean squat to me. When I bought a couple of little girl's outfits as Foley's, a top and short skirt, the receipt credits me with Sportswear, which is a little better but Sportswear covers quite a large part of the store. A WalMart receipt I'm looking at says I bought "MTL EGG COPR", whatever that is.

No more. In my FutureWorld, the receipt will describe what you bought in terms you can understand, both now and a few months from now.

14. grandpaw7

grandpaw7 Thread Starter

But, Wimpy, what about the people like me who are not happy and contented unless they're complaining about something? And, hopefully, I can trade that VW bus in for a Ferrari.

15. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    That's a tough one. Maybe there is a planet out there that can accommodate you.:D No offense but complainers really bother me.;) I don't complain about them but I have been known to ignore a few in real life especially when they go on about little things. I used to do that until I had a heart attack. It just isn't worth it. I can't see myself laying on my death bed saying something to the effect that " I wish I would have let Wal mart know their itemized receipts bother me " or " why do little girls always have to scream ":eek: ?

As far as trading a VW Micro-Bus for a Ferrari no you may not because I would have to file a complaint with the ones dishing out the free cars. The value of the car would make it a complaint worth complaining about. If you ended up with a Ferarri I would have grounds to make a statement on my death bed to the effect of " never mind the car, that gp7 got his way again".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice