1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What chemical can I use to dissolve ink from documents?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hi!, May 12, 2009.

Advertisement
  1. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Hi! I'm doing spring cleaning and found tons of personal documents I never threw out containing my SS number.. bank statements.. Credit Card statements.. etc.. a shredder would take too much work and burning it would be too much work and hassel.. is there a something I can add to a bucket of water to dissovle my paper information? Thanks for your help!

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Depends on the ink. Chemical use isn't smart for the main reason of ensuring you don't get it all over you and or spill it or any of the other hazards. I had 3 years worth of documents I shredded in about 2 hours. Now I just do a single trip now and then it only takes a couple mins.

Alot of the Citrius cleaners take off a ton of ink such as permanent marker and things like that but may not work on some kinds of inks dependsing on the documents and how they were made.

3. oil painter

oil painter

Hairspray will remove ballpoint pen but I don't know if it will remove printed or computer ink

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Can't for the life of me imagine how any chemical solution would be easier or take less time than using a shredder if going sheet by sheet. And as for fire ...... fistfulls of papers at a time into a fireplace should be less work and faster than either of the other two methods :confused:

5. guy2

guy2

I would just burn it but just use water and turn it into mush with a stick.

6. izme

izme

I know what would do it since I was a painter for many years, but I am reluctant to tell anyone since it can also be used to take signatures..dollar amounts etc. off of stolen checks :D

sorry ;)

7. buffoon

buffoon

There's ways of "doctoring" documents. Not necessarily for fraudulent purposes, one could just be correcting one's own mistakes;). But it's a surgical process and time consuming. In your case I'd just burn the lot.

That is your purpose, isn't it? Getting rid of all of it?:cool::D

8. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

If the statements were made with a laser printer then it is burned in the paper. No ink to remove.
    Matches can be hard to strike and a bic is hard to flic. Zippos are expensive.

Maybe you can find a magnifying glass and burn out the info on a sunny day.

9. Knotbored

Knotbored

Put the papers in a leakproof plastic bag, put in a quart of cheap waterbased paint-squish it all together making a paste-dry it out in one big lump. Haul that to a hazardess waste site.
    Or burn it

10. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

Do a double bath

Bath 1: ethanol (denatured alcohol is fine, but pure ethanol is best)

Bath 2: Chlorine {One cup HTH per 5 gal water [5% sodium
    hypochlorite solution (sold as household bleach) will work,
    but more slowly]}

I know this works, because I have destroyed both photographic
    prints and so-called "indelible" documents this way.

Also, to verify complete erasure, let an erased
    document dry, then spray with a weak (2%) solution
    of sodium ferrocyanide. If you see nothing, then repeat
    with tannic acid, followed by hydroquinone.

Finally, try to view under UV 350, to make damn
    sure it's erased.

While this will work, it is ridiculous!

But I don't see why incineration is not an option.
    Just shred, then incinerate.
    Shredded paper burns up much more quickly, because
    the oxygen gets to it quicker.

11. gyrgrls

gyrgrls Banned

Yes, the bulk of my reply was facetious.
    Forgive me. :)

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Pop in a parcel and send to me :D

13. buffoon

buffoon

Naw?:D
    Now if you'd suggested nuking the paper bin..........;)

14. poochee

poochee

Shred while you watch TV. That's what I do.

15. hewee

hewee

I use a shredder and if it is really something I do not want seen I use a black marker over names, numbers etc and then put it in the shredder.

Also not all needs to go into the shredder. You can tear off parts of the page on so many things that you want to go in the shredder and the rest can go into the trash.

Like all the junk mail for credit cards, ins. etc I only use the shredder on the name and address and any codes they have on it for those who call to get approved. That means most you can just trash because a smaller percent of it is the only part you do not want others to see. All the rest means nothing on most things without the added info that you can use the shredder on.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826498