1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What cloning software works best...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Veryfrustratedus, May 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Veryfrustratedus

Veryfrustratedus Thread Starter

Best on failing HDD's? I had this problem before. In fact it is how I got this drive which is now going bad loaded. I cannot remember what I used I think it was Acronis But I do not know. I tried Macrium and it failed at making a clone and an image.

2. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi You might try running a chkdsk before trying to clone with Macrium. I have read that will some times work??? If the drive is to bad, you might not be able to create a image!!!
    Have you tried Paragon free??

3. Veryfrustratedus

Its pretty far gone. CHKDSK did not run all the way with me checking the repair option only 73% which is about what it was last time. There is no hope Seagate long test said its a gonner. This is about the condition the last one was in when I managed to get an image off it. Somehow these Toshiba drives act like they are working but they are falling apart underneath. I guess that's good but it sure leaves one in a lurch when it starts to fail.

4. Veryfrustratedus

I've downloaded acronis. I am going to log off and try it.

5. donetao

donetao Banned

OK Good luck. It's a good thing to keep a current image. Then you just slap in a new HD and your off and running again!!(y)

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I have never had clonezilla ever fail to restore, clone or image. Not the easiest thing to use however it is free.

7. Veryfrustratedus

I have a disc labeled clonezilla live disc ?? do I need more? The Acronis backup went really slowly then threw up a error message at 8.999mb. I thought it odd since I checked ignore bad clusters but I clicked retry and it seemed to freeze and I had to force shutdown. very slow starting back up after an automatic chkdsk. I'm really stressed out this should be a whole lot easier. I will look into Clonezilla's site, I have the new SSD and a new 128GB flash so as long as the program works I should be fine.

8. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Are you trying to clone or image your HD to a Flash drive. I have never been able to make that work??
    http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/217565-system-image-usb-flash-drive.html
    I have a seagate 1TB external drive for my images. I use Macrium and have never had a problem!
    I would purchase a cheap external drive and give that a shot!!
    I really don't think you can save a image to a flash with Macrium. Not sure about the other imaging software??
    I have never been able to do that!!

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Get the latest one from clonezilla.

Next you should always have a current backup of anything important. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about AND you should expect to lose said data. ALL hard drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

10. Veryfrustratedus

Well I got intimidated by the clonezilla disc I had. I have copied all the folders under User and installed the new drive and using the OEM discs I made when I first turned this thing on I reloaded the system. I am installing updates and transferring the info I saved so far so good. The Contacts folder seems to have set up my Winmail account but there is no mail under the listed emails in the inbox. Will that download from the server again? I did copy those emails according to this instruction http://www.yoingco.com/how_to_save_windows_mail_e-mail_and_address_book.htm but that leavces one with a list of numbered emails they are not listed in any way I can decifer. I would have to open each one to see what it is. Would they go back to the right spot if I transferred them in reverse? thanks guys. Once I get this setup will make a clone and try to remember to do it regularly from now on. I don;t have the winmail account open yet I am waiting for all the updates then to install MSE. I will come back to check for an answer to my email question before I open it while online.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Thanks for your feedback!! I'm glad you made the restore disks. I have both the disks and also a USB flash with factory. Sounds like things are going well. I don't know about your Email sorry!! I use G-mail and I'm not sure how it works either. Once I read mail, I delete it, so that ain't no big deal to me. I'm not a big fan of going back to factory. I'm to lazy, but it's always nice to have a fresh start once in awhile. Good idea to stay off the internet until you get MSE installed

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice