1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Codec do I need?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by MolsonMan007, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MolsonMan007

MolsonMan007 Thread Starter

Okay... Here I am trying to watch an episode of the Sopranos that I downloaded on my laptop and Media Player (I am using Windows 98) comes up with it's ambiance visuals and all I can get is the audio from the show. I would assume this is because I do not have the proper codec downloaded.

I have the exact same file on my desktop at home and it works properly.

I just downloaded a whack of codecs in a package (Nimo Lite Pack) and it did not work. Also, Media Player searches for the correct codec upon opening the file and apparently does not find it automatically.

So how do I know what codec I need and/or how do I take the codecs from my desktop and put them on my laptop?

Any replies would be appreciated.

MolsonMan

2. monted

monted

what is the file extension?

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

What version of Media player is on your desktop?

I'm gonna guess that you need a more recent version of the Windows media codec, maybe I'm wrong. But yeah, whats the file extension?

4. Deke40

Deke40

5. The_Egg

The_Egg

If it's an AVI file, use GSpot to determine which codec is required.

6. MolsonMan007

MolsonMan007 Thread Starter

Monted: It is an .avi file.

Kram: I have the same version on both computers (7.01.00.3055) so this is not the problem. Also the file works on my desktop, it is my laptop that will not play properly.

Deke & Egg: Thanx, I'll check that out.

MolsonMan

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice