What Codec do I need?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MolsonMan007

Okay... Here I am trying to watch an episode of the Sopranos that I downloaded on my laptop and Media Player (I am using Windows 98) comes up with it's ambiance visuals and all I can get is the audio from the show. I would assume this is because I do not have the proper codec downloaded.

I have the exact same file on my desktop at home and it works properly.

I just downloaded a whack of codecs in a package (Nimo Lite Pack) and it did not work. Also, Media Player searches for the correct codec upon opening the file and apparently does not find it automatically.

So how do I know what codec I need and/or how do I take the codecs from my desktop and put them on my laptop?

Any replies would be appreciated.

MolsonMan

What version of Media player is on your desktop?

I'm gonna guess that you need a more recent version of the Windows media codec, maybe I'm wrong. But yeah, whats the file extension?

MolsonMan007

Monted: It is an .avi file.

Kram: I have the same version on both computers (7.01.00.3055) so this is not the problem. Also the file works on my desktop, it is my laptop that will not play properly.

Deke & Egg: Thanx, I'll check that out.

MolsonMan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online