What computers are the best for creating websites and apps?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Antwish

In answer to your question about Apple computers generally spec for spec they are more expensive than a PC from a premium manufacturer. The amount more expensive varies depending on spec. An Apple computer comes with software that you have to pay for on a PC, for example M$ Office Vs Apples' equivalent. Also people generally keep Mac's longer than PC's as they don't need to be updated every 2 years or so as they are still performant. If you look at Total Cost Of Ownership a Mac and PC are pretty similar.

I sound like an 'Apple Fan Boy' but it took me many years to make the switch and there are some things they don't do well, I hate iTunes and how it works but there is no real choice if you have an iPhone.

Regardless of computer your choice of software should come first then and only then choose the best computer to run that on.
Thanks again for your time Colinsp. Is there any particular software you would recommend for graphic design, website and app development? Thanks.

colinsp

Colin
For graphics / photo editing I use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator is also used by some developers. If you want a WYSIWYG development environment the Adobe Dreamweaver is well used. For PHP development I use PHPStorm and for an enhanced text editor Text Wrangler although on a PC Notepad++ is excellent. For FTP I use Filezilla. I also use Rapid Weaver and FileMaker Pro. Most of these are paid for programmes that run on both Mac and PC although some are Mac only because that is what I use.

Antwish

For graphics / photo editing I use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator is also used by some developers. If you want a WYSIWYG development environment the Adobe Dreamweaver is well used. For PHP development I use PHPStorm and for an enhanced text editor Text Wrangler although on a PC Notepad++ is excellent. For FTP I use Filezilla. I also use Rapid Weaver and FileMaker Pro. Most of these are paid for programmes that run on both Mac and PC although some are Mac only because that is what I use.
Thanks mate I really appreciate the help.

Thanks again for your time Colinsp. Is there any particular software you would recommend for graphic design, website and app development? Thanks.
Not directed at me but I will give my input.

For graphic design I utilize the Adobe Suite, from Photoshop to Illustrator to InDesign (really just depending on what you are looking to do), I know JiminSA recommended GIMP, you can use that but honestly it is horrendous GUI (no offense JiminSA), so much so it is rather frequently the butt of jokes. Because of Photoshop's essential dominance, it is the defacto standard.

Website/App Development.

You have a number of tools to pick from which again depends on what you are planning to write. Tools best for Android apps to web apps, etc. For web development I like to use Atom Text Editor (open source and free), you can take a look at Visual Studio which has a free edition.

Antwish

Not directed at me but I will give my input.

For graphic design I utilize the Adobe Suite, from Photoshop to Illustrator to InDesign (really just depending on what you are looking to do), I know JiminSA recommended GIMP, you can use that but honestly it is horrendous GUI (no offense JiminSA), so much so it is rather frequently the butt of jokes. Because of Photoshop's essential dominance, it is the defacto standard.

Website/App Development.

You have a number of tools to pick from which again depends on what you are planning to write. Tools best for Android apps to web apps, etc. For web development I like to use Atom Text Editor (open source and free), you can take a look at Visual Studio which has a free edition.
Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate your help.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
One thing that gets to me, is those designers that use full screened wide monitors.
A lot of use do not always have a wide screen or do not have their browser set to full screen and one must scroll to see the full page width.
They need to stop using the full screen mode or design pages to auto adjust to users screen width.
It was a lot worst when the "Flat Screens" first came out.

Now, I am off my "Soap Box".

One thing that gets to me, is those designers that use full screened wide monitors.
A lot of use do not always have a wide screen or do not have their browser set to full screen and one must scroll to see the full page width.
They need to stop using the full screen mode or design pages to auto adjust to users screen width.
It was a lot worst when the "Flat Screens" first came out.

Now, I am off my "Soap Box".
Well they should be doing that already with responsive websites.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts