1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What connector do i need to hook my laptop up to this power amplifier ??

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jushinator, Sep 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jushinator

jushinator Thread Starter

Ok guys i just purchased a 3.5mm to stereo rca plugs to try and hook my laptop to my power amplifier. But I have a problem, I dont think it connects with rca type plugs. I have looked the internet over for a picture of the back of the PS802 (to show you what it looks like) but I can't find one. Here is a link to the power amplifier I have and the info you would need to help me...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--STCPS802

Here is what it says the connectors are, but I dont know if this is the information I need.

Connectors:
    Balanced In XLR female
    Unbalanced In 1/4 in. phone jack
    Output MDP Banana

I think this is the connector I need....... but I am not sure

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

Someone please help me out so I can get this stereo system going.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, your Radio Shack page didn't come up, but you need a three conductor 1/4" phone plug to whatever your laptop requires, most likely the 3.5mm stereo plug.

3. jushinator

I know that one end has to be the 3.5mm (1/8th in) that goes into my computer. Can you link me to what a three conductor is or link me to a picture ?

4. Neon Green

Neon Green

The back of the power amp has two i nputs and one output, according to the specs you report. You want to connect the OUTPUT jack of the power amp to the INPUT of the computer; ergo, you use a BANANA plug terminatged cable connected to the power amp BANANA output jack.

To input your signals into the power amp you have a choice of two jacks, balanced and unbalanced. Each of these jacks has an associated plug. I forget the diference of the specs between blanced and unbalanced, but the Radio Shack dude could probably tell you. In fact, take the power amp to Radio Shack and show them the jacks and ask them to pick the correct ones for your application.

good luck

5. Neon Green

Neon Green

Go back to this site
    http://www.radioshack.com/home/index.jsp
    use the search field and enter the string BANANA PLUG
    replace the words ENTIRE SITE with the pop-up menu HOME Entertainment

You will see seversl choices but the first two are all you need to consider:

Acoustic Research Performance Series Banana Connector Plugs
    Model: AP-307 | Catalog #: 55016378

AND

Acoustic Research Per. Series Banana Speaker-Wire Connectors
    Model: AP-397 | Catalog #: 55016381

hth neon

6. jushinator

Neon, I am looking for a connector from my laptop (3.5mm) to the amplifier. I think those are what is needed to hook the speakers to the amplifier. I am assuming i just need a 1/8th to 1/4th connector. I just dont know what the balanced and unbalanced means. I will be happy with just one speaker working, if that is what is meant by balanced and unbalanced.

7. LittleGhoti

LittleGhoti

Just get rca to 1/4" adapters and use the 3.5 stereo to rca with those adapters. The balanced XLR are for microphones such as a shure sm 81, etc.

8. jushinator

thank you LittleGhoti

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd probably just buy the 1/4" plug and graft it onto the cable with the 3.5mm plug, makes for a neater installation. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice