1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What could cause my default audio device driver(s) to keep altering?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hhannam, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Once again I want to preface my posting by saying that I saw "drivers" referred to in the inclusive description of this"Hardware" forum, so I think my problem falls into this category. If I am incorrect, I would appreciate someone telling me.

Just last month (Dec 12) I posted a problem about my audio volume control setting itself to a (too) loud minimum. The volume control would allow the minimum setting only and if I tried anything lower, it would snap back this default minimum (which is too loud for normal listening, by the way), but it would allow higher volume settings. The first reply asked if I had tried new drivers. I uninstalled my default audio device (Realtek HD audio) and re-installed it and it seemed to fix the problem.

One other consequence of my re-installation was that I no longer had a small, gray icon for volume control in my task bar area next to the clock. I only had a red icon representing the Realtek HD Audio Manager, which included a volume control, so I wasn't overly concerned and marched on.

Unfortunately, the same issue has occurred again, so now what I am seeking is a possible reason as to why this keeps happening. What could possibly be happening to alter the drivers in my default audio device. I've also noticed that the small, gray volume control icon has suddenly returned to the task bar area next to the clock and the Realtek icon, but it also is stuck on that default minimum. Where did that icon come from again?

In summary....what's going on here?....and why is this minimum setting occurring at any time? I'd appreciate hearing comments on what possible dynamics are re-occurring here, and suggestions on how to correct this problem....permanently!!!

Thanks, Windmaker

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice