1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What Could Cause This? Freezing after PC Games...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chibahawk, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

Okay so I seem to have this problem with every single PC game I try to play. Basically I'm just trying to focus on possible causes of the problem. When I start a game up, let's say Age Of Empires III, as soon as the intro video comes up I hear some weird clicking or ticking. Then I can play as usual but with the clicking popping up every once in a while.. Then usually after a random amount of time the game will freeze. OR I can actually quit the game and do somethin else for a while but somewhere down the road - my PC freezes.

This happens with every game, more often with more taxing games on my video card. Now I know clicking is usually associated with HDDs but I just dunno about that. I have two HDDs and for example. I had Pirates installed on HDD 1 and had the problem so I wiped the drives clean and installed WinXP and Pirates on the other drive and had the same problem.

1GB Corsair
    Barton 3200
    9800 Pro Omega Drivers
    120GB + 80GB HDDs
    MSI K8-n72 delta-l mobo

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If it were mine, I would monitor the temps from the onboard program for that. You need to do that for at-rest, and for under-stress usage of the computer. While you are at it, take a look at the power that is being put out for each rail on your power supply. That info should help us a lot to see what might be causing the problem.

Almost forgot, talk to us about your power supply including name and wattage. That is also imporant information.

3. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

okay first what would be the best program to monitor what you recommended?

also im pretty sure my PSU is just the no name brand that came stock on a $80 case. Im positive that its 450Watts just not sure the name brand..lemme know if youd need the name

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Most newer motherboards have a program that came with your motherboard disk to monitor things like that. However, if you don't have that, here are a couple of free downloads you might want to try:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

With the power supply, just look on the side and it will tell you the name. Some of them even have the name of the back so you don't have to even take the side of the case off. With the symptoms you are having, that is kind of important to know what kind.

5. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

okay so should i actually test the temps and speeds while running the AOE3 game or should I do it running something else?

6. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

TEst the computer after it has set at rest for a bit, then play any game that puts the computer under stress. I would play the most stressing one that you have. Hope this helps.

7. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

hmm def. will try that.. first though

i opened my rig up and re-did some of the wires.. i also realized my cpu fan was on low.. most likely a culprit right?

8. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Could be the cause if temps were too high, that is why I recommended that you run the tests to see what temps were.

9. chibahawk

chibahawk Thread Starter

yep well in any case i played aoe3 twice with no problems and the fan on high

however now the fan is giving me a headache... what would i expect to pay for a good and quiet fan

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!