1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what CPU for my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metallica5456, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    hi guys I need some help my friend has a Dell Inspiron 530 Mini Tower (service tag C9YZRG1) and I need to know the BEST CPU upgrade that that machine can handle. According to a lengthy chat to the (idiot) non english speaking guy from dell he said ANY core 2 Duo CPU and any "Pentium Quad Core" (not core 2 quad) Ive nvr heard of a Pentium quad core. anyway I was looking online and i liked the Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.16GHz which is MUCH better than my friend has now. (If I can use a quad core PLEASE let me know) However I need to know for certainty that the processor he buys WILL work with his computer. I know dell likes to put OEM limitations on their stuff so thats why I am turning to you guys for some good advice. PLEASE let me know ASAP. Thanks in advance!! :)

2. trevordk

trevordk

My first question would be, why do we need to upgrade the CPU? There are definitely options, and at least two quad-core CPUs that will work with the socket type on that Dell machine, but without knowing the reasons for the upgrade it's hard to make an accurate recommendation.

3. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    reason?? to get better performance on my games :D I just wanna know whach 2 quad cores WILL fit. remember that this is probably a propierity system so I would like if possible links to the 2 CPUs and just your opinion as to how you know it will work

4. trevordk

trevordk

To be honest, upgrading your CPU won't net you very much of a performance increase, if any. Modern gaming generally utilizes only one core of a CPU, with very limited games utilizing two. GPU on the other hand will account for 80%+ of your gaming performance.

Anyhow, to the topic of CPUs, here is a link to the owner's manual:
    http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals...ms/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm#wp1123070

And here is a link with a list of compatible CPUs according to the Inspiron 530 owner's manual:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/cpu/#k=13&sort=a6

There are plenty to choose from, and more quadcore processors than I originally thought.

Two things:
    1) Make sure the BIOS is up to date on the motherboard, as certain compatible CPUs were added at a later date.
    2) A CPU upgrade will gain you extremely minimal performance increase, if any at all. You would be better off looking at a new video card/PSU combo to increase gaming performance.

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ty very much for your help the video card is alrdy pretty good its older but is nice its HD 2600XT 128bit card and to the gaming topic im not planning on playing anything BAD A** lol just some low to med gaming ty for your help if theres any tips you can provide possibly a link so I can email it to me friend on how to remove and replace a cpu preferebly one thats detailed for a novice also would I have to upgrade the PSU and if so which one are the fastest for the stock PSU ty also what brand Thermal paste do u recommend?

6. trevordk

trevordk

What kind of games, like facebook games? Depending, that card may work fine for you. If you're playing any Steam games, WoW, or really anything released in the past 6-8ish years I'd consider upgrading the card first. Lemme know what games specifically and I can let you know if it's important to look at upgrading the card or not.

As far as removing & replacing a CPU, just type "CPU installation" into youtube, there are tons of tutorial videos, watch a few and go from there.

As far as upgrading the PSU, you SHOULD be fine if you only upgrade the CPU and nothing else. This depends on the games you play though. Let me know which games and if a card upgrade would be beneficial, I would suggest upgrading PSU as well.

I'd like to re-iterate again though, that upgrading your CPU will not likely gain you much (if any) performance gains for gaming.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    www.warrock.net and Alliance of Valiant arms and Halo CE pretty much thts it

8. trevordk

trevordk

I would strongly recommend upgrading the video card instead of the CPU to see performance gains on those games. Your card isn't terrible, but an upgrade in card quality will be more noticeable than a cpu upgrade.

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    well what cna I get for 50 bucks that would power over on that card?

10. trevordk

trevordk

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a5&qq=1&xcx=0&c=58

Check out those cards, one is slightly above $50 and the rest go up to maybe $70 range, but they would be a great upgrade for you. It doesn't require an extra pin connector like the higher end cards do, so you MAY squeak by with your current PSU, but I'd suggest upgrading the PSU to maybe 450W to be safe.

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    corsair 80+ or antec 80+ wither those good brands?

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    why they all hd 6770's ?? im just curious

13. trevordk

trevordk

I specifically picked the 6670 because once you jump to 6770 it requires an additional 6pin power connector for the card, which would definitely require a PSU upgrade for you.

14. trevordk

trevordk

I'm not too familiar with Antec but I personally use a Corsair PSU and will vouch that they are a good brand.

15. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    what nvidia card do you think would exceed my current one? hd 2600XT

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice