1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What did you get for Christmas this year?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 30, 2010.

Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Hi all,

This year I got the book "Cooking for Geeks" by Jeff Potter. In the book he describes how to hack a manual dial (not digital) crock pot (slow) cooker to do "sous vide" (water bath) cooking for about $100 worth of equipment vs $400 on up. Just add a thermocouple (temperature probe), temperature controller, and rig it up - and you too can poach an egg in the shell - what a hoot of a fun project! It is about holding the ideal cooking temperature for a period of time to control the cooking to perfection every time (nothing overcooks). Sous Vide cooking essentially cooks almost anything in a plastic bag so the water does not act chemically with the food, and the food only heats up by conduction and does not loose any of its nutrients.

-- Tom :)

P.S. The book essentially describes cooking from a science point of view (i.e. the moderation of time vs temperature) and is all about having fun in the kitchen with experiments! And the food is good too!

2. byabba

byabba

What did I get for Christmas this year?

........older! :D

3. franca

franca

Me 2..........:D:p

4. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

5. ChildOfLore

ChildOfLore

An Arduino Uno starter kit (Yaaaaay!) and charity donations.

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Hi ChildOfLore,

Have fun with whatever project you have in mind with your starter kit! Arduino makes temperature controllers with with soud vide cooking has been done - some device programming may be required for that application to work from what I have read regarding that topic.

-- Tom

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice