1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

what disk do i need to install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Perad, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Perad

Perad Thread Starter

I have a compaq presario sr1519UK. I have long since lost the disks which came with it, i am looking to reformat and re-install XP because my computer is an error prone piece of turd.

I've got a product key but have no idea on what version of windows XP it is for.

Would the version of windows matter?

I have XP service pack 1 disk and XP SP2 OEM disk. Would either of these work?

Thanks for any help given on this matter (y)

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

OEM disks are only for the computer they came with.

As to the other disk, if it's not already installed on a computer.

3. Perad

Perad Thread Starter

Both disks are in use, just we want to use the product key that came with the compaq with an XP disk.

It is just from previous experience, not all Windows disks work with all product keys

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Doubt it would work as the Compaq key is probably OEM as well.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

You would need a Compaq disk from such a model for the coa to work. However if you contact Compaq/HP, they will sell you another set of restore disks usually for about $20.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/567296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice