1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved what do i do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jkbp2099, Jan 14, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Jkbp2099

Jkbp2099 Thread Starter

Help! I overclocked my cpu (from 3.9 ghz base to 4.1 ghz) but i needed to restart the computer so i did so but now it wont turn on i can't see a display i just hear the fans turn on and the screen turns from off to a light grey-ish color then the computer turns off and just repeats the process.

2. Sponsor

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Sounds like you didn't set something right....try doing a CMOS flash/reset and try to boot it again.

4. Jkbp2099

Jkbp2099 Thread Starter

How do i do that? Sorry i don't know alot, just the very basics

5. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    I would first recommend looking at your motherboard manual for a CMOS reset jumper. It's different on all boards so your manual would be the best place to start?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most motherboards use a jumper to clear cmos however if you have a gigabyte board, they use two pins that you momentarily short to clear cmos. The best advice is above; read your manual. Some high end boards will have a clear cmos button on the board itself or on the back near the IO plate; again read your manual.
    Next it would really help if you posted all of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact cpu, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts.
    Next
    I would highly advise you to do a LOT of reading before attempting to overclock your system. I am not against overclocking [all of my systems except my home theater system are overclocked] however you have to understand what you are doing and accept the fact that there is NO safe overclock. All overclocking entails some degree of risk. Most modern motherboards will up vcore [cpu voltage] when you overclock. This is where the chance of frying something occurs; raising cpu voltage.

7. Jkbp2099

Jkbp2099 Thread Starter

I reset the CMOS and everything is working again thanks guys. And yeah i will do a lot more research before tampering with my computer.

metallica5456 likes this.
  8. Jkbp2099

Jkbp2099 Thread Starter

Here are the parts:
    Amd a6 7400k 3.9 ghz
    Asrock FM2A68M-DG3+
    4gb ddr3 ram
    Inno3d gt 730 2gb ddr3 128 bit gpu
    500gb seagate hdd
    Windows 7 starter (32-bit)
    Case is Neutron Colt and it came with a 700 watt PSU

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working. Just for info, pw supplies that come with a case are almost always junk or low end units. The exception is an antec case that comes with an antec pw supply. Those are ok for general use however not overclocking. If you really really have to overclock, get a quality pw supply.

Jkbp2099, Lanctus and metallica5456 like this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202892