1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

What do I need to do and How??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Archer, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Archer

Archer Thread Starter

I am considering purchasing a two way sattelite (DSL) system from directway,My question
    is I would like to run three different computers, I think I need to set up a network(??), how do I do that and
    what equipment will I need. The 3 units all have different versions of windows, 1 is windows 95 with a pentium100,1
    is windows 98 with celeron 500, 1 is windows xp with pentium 4. All this computer jargon is greek to me so if you could lead me by the hand I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not entirely sure about satellite DSL, but with normal DSL, you use a broadband router after the DSL modem, and on the other side, you're sharing your Internet connection with all the networked computers. Simple as can be. If this is one of the oddballs that requires you to attach it directly to a PC, you'll have to see if ICS will work with it.

3. Del

Del

Should have an ethernet connection on it to go to your PC, you just go to the router first.

4. JohnWill

Some of these outfits supply USB connected modems, which have to talk to a PC. In that case, the standard broadband router isn't an option.

5. Archer

Archer Thread Starter

I went to web site of sattelite system and their FAQs section says the sattelite modem is
    USB attached and uses ICS of windows, what would I need to run the other computers,
    would you need a router?? Hub of some sort??
    Thanks

6. Del

Del

If they don't suppy ethernet modems, you would have to use internet connection sharing, or a crossover cable to connect both computers.
    Not very good at either one, someone else can jump in and give you more info on this.

7. JohnWill

Since they use USB, you need to get the two system connected, either with a hub/switch, or a crossover cable, your choice. Then, you have to configure ICS, here's a reference to get you started.

Microsoft Windows ICS Configuration

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice